Yes a waaaay old thread but these thoughts may help someone considering this idea.
I would not use the extra biscuit tin ground plane/stiffener, you will get condensation trapped between the two, this results in rust/poor connection and the crap that goes with it when it bubbles through your ...
Search found 19 matches
- Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:55 pm
- Forum: CB Antennas
- Topic: The courage to start drilling......
- Replies: 7
- Views: 46434
- Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:40 pm
- Forum: CB Antennas
- Topic: High and variable SWR that doesn't seem to be related to grounding
- Replies: 5
- Views: 6917
Re: High and variable SWR that doesn't seem to be related to grounding
Has to be a bad lead or connection IMO, or perhaps as I found out the other day an 'iffy' SWR meter.
The slightest knock and the normally excellent SWR would hit the red,
regards
Dave
The slightest knock and the normally excellent SWR would hit the red,
regards
Dave
- Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:37 pm
- Forum: CB Antennas
- Topic: Antenna in Defender
- Replies: 14
- Views: 16200
Re: Antenna in Defender
I found if using the CB and the radio was on, simply keying up wiped the radio sound right out. I found it a nuisance and simply turned the radio off when using the CB if on a trail l for example.
regards
Dave
regards
Dave
- Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:33 pm
- Forum: CB Antennas
- Topic: Need help with choosing an antenna
- Replies: 10
- Views: 8017
Re: Need help with choosing an antenna
I use the self amalgamating tape once or twice a week, try to get the stretch right, if you go too tight it will eventually shrink and tear into a split.
regards
Dave
regards
Dave
- Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:29 pm
- Forum: CB Antennas
- Topic: Why Ariel and not ariel?
- Replies: 4
- Views: 15922
Why Ariel and not ariel?
It must have been asked before?
Why does the spellchecker on every PC I have used flag ariel spelt with a lower case flag up an error, but with upper case it is considered correct?
regards
Dave
Why does the spellchecker on every PC I have used flag ariel spelt with a lower case flag up an error, but with upper case it is considered correct?
regards
Dave
- Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:27 pm
- Forum: CB Antennas
- Topic: Could I use a mobile antenna for a home base antenna?
- Replies: 14
- Views: 35621
Re: Could I use a mobile antenna for a home base antenna?
Years ago we used an old truck wheel with the mag mount, real sophisticated but it worked but what a bast*rd getting it into the loft, damn that thing was heavy!
We were under the impression that the SWR would be better with a higher density ground plane, IIRC the Aerial was easier to tune ...
We were under the impression that the SWR would be better with a higher density ground plane, IIRC the Aerial was easier to tune ...
- Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:23 pm
- Forum: CB Antennas
- Topic: Roof rack earthing?
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1955
Roof rack earthing?
Hi all, just a question as per above.
I have a Land Cruiser 80 so quite a big car, it has a full length roof rack, that is it extends from the tailgate to around a foot past the front screen and is the full width of the car, so a substantial ground plane.
There is a metal wind deflector around ...
I have a Land Cruiser 80 so quite a big car, it has a full length roof rack, that is it extends from the tailgate to around a foot past the front screen and is the full width of the car, so a substantial ground plane.
There is a metal wind deflector around ...
- Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:31 pm
- Forum: Introduce Yourself
- Topic: Hi from Spain
- Replies: 5
- Views: 12086
Re: Hi from Spain
Thanks for the welcome all.
regards
Dave
regards
Dave
- Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:00 am
- Forum: Introduce Yourself
- Topic: Hi from Spain
- Replies: 5
- Views: 12086
Re: Hi from Spain
Hi Porky.69
regards
Dave
regards
Dave
- Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:58 am
- Forum: 4x4 Owners
- Topic: Dual antenna quick release
- Replies: 8
- Views: 29969
Re: Dual antenna quick release
I may have found a solution!
One cable running to a disc type mount, it seems there is a COAX connector can go on top? Unsure at the moment if the seller and I are singing from the same hymn sheet but it looks good ATM.
Get back to you if it pans out.
regards
Dave
One cable running to a disc type mount, it seems there is a COAX connector can go on top? Unsure at the moment if the seller and I are singing from the same hymn sheet but it looks good ATM.
Get back to you if it pans out.
regards
Dave
- Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:41 pm
- Forum: 4x4 Owners
- Topic: Dual antenna quick release
- Replies: 8
- Views: 29969
Re: Dual antenna quick release
FORGET the quick releases as the spread at the base and can give a faulty swr reading so are not very good
*King* *King* *King* *King*
Thanks for that Stampman.
I have been looking into that as well, what about high quality SS versions like this, have you tried them?
http://www.a1telecom ...
*King* *King* *King* *King*
Thanks for that Stampman.
I have been looking into that as well, what about high quality SS versions like this, have you tried them?
http://www.a1telecom ...
- Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:48 am
- Forum: 4x4 Owners
- Topic: Dual antenna quick release
- Replies: 8
- Views: 29969
Re: Dual antenna quick release
Still 'cramming' in the CB stuff, when I get into something I am like a dog with a bone! :D
I have now changed the plan, or rather others have changed the plan by coming up with good arguments to do so. I am trying to draw from different CB forums to get as wide an opinion as possible.
So, one ...
I have now changed the plan, or rather others have changed the plan by coming up with good arguments to do so. I am trying to draw from different CB forums to get as wide an opinion as possible.
So, one ...
- Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:25 am
- Forum: 4x4 Owners
- Topic: Power source
- Replies: 6
- Views: 17235
Re: Power source
stampman wrote:its the Gremlins that control the Site Messing about
![]()
![]()
![]()
regards
Dave
- Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:32 pm
- Forum: 4x4 Owners
- Topic: Dual antenna quick release
- Replies: 8
- Views: 29969
Re: Dual antenna quick release
Thanks for that Dragonfly.
I am doing the sponge thing at the moment, soaking up and cramming 'CB stuff'.
I will not be running two antennas at the same time, the roof rack gets dropped on just for the longer trips. As time was short this time I went for the mag mount and of course the coax got ...
I am doing the sponge thing at the moment, soaking up and cramming 'CB stuff'.
I will not be running two antennas at the same time, the roof rack gets dropped on just for the longer trips. As time was short this time I went for the mag mount and of course the coax got ...
- Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:55 am
- Forum: 4x4 Owners
- Topic: Waht tyres are you all using?
- Replies: 32
- Views: 71084
Re: Waht tyres are you all using?
I fitted 4 brand new Yokohama Geolanders to my LC. A few weeks later got a puncture in the sidewall in a dry river bed........by a twig!!!
Yes a twig, tried repairs but the sidewalls are so soft it did not hold the insert. There were others with me, none on Yokohama, but a variety of other brands ...
Yes a twig, tried repairs but the sidewalls are so soft it did not hold the insert. There were others with me, none on Yokohama, but a variety of other brands ...
