Antenna and roof rack

General Mobile CB antenna advice and troubleshooting
Post Reply
steve70
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Here's a pic of the roof rack on my van

Image

Would sticking a mag mount on the roof cause any problems given the vicinity of the bars of the rack? They are about 3 inches above the roof.
It's a company van so I don't really want to attach anything directly to the roof rack.

I'm using one of these at the moment http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/antenna-ma ... g-kit.html which I have noticed a bit of difference in receiving when stuck to the rack, but I'm thinking about getting a Mini Orbitor and it's 6" mag would be a bit big for sticking to the rack.

Am I making any sense? :)
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

use a mirror mount round the bar and it will work fine rather than a mag mount



*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
steve70
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Well I didn't really want to mount anything to the roof rack but if the antenna can easily be unscrewed when not in use then I might take your advice.
Do these mirror clamps come with protective bungs?
Would need to stop the rain and what not getting into it.
What about protecting the pl259 plug.
Do you use amalgamating tape like you do on a homebase antenna.?
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

no need for rubber bung and you dont need to tape it either nice and simple


*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
steve70
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:11 pm

How does it prevent water and debris ingress then ?
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

basicly it is a nut screwed on to a thread and your antenna screws into the nut



*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
steve70
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:11 pm

OK thanks.
steve70
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Do these mirror mount kits only come with one plug?
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

you can get the kit form of it with cable attached


*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
steve70
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:11 pm

I ordered separate mount and 3m patch coax.
I couldn't work out why the kit only came with one plug when you need one for each end.
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

they use a snail mount on the other end better with the way you are going


*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
steve70
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Cheers for your help stampman, I see what you mean about the mount antenna conection just being a nut :)
Got a Super Nova set up now but SWR won't go down much below 3 on 40 and 2 on 1.

Do I need to cut the whip down?
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

yes needs trimming a bit at a time cause once its off you cant superglue it back on



*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:11 pm

You must have got this type of mount and as you say the coax needs a PL259 plug on both ends , Just tape up the plug to keep the weather out .
Image
steve70
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Cheers Dragonfly. Yes I have a similar mount. The one with the 4 bolts.
Don't want this thing flying off at 90mph do I ;)
Post Reply