Are Scanners Any Use These Days?
-
Brando
- New to the Scene

- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:05 pm
- CB Handle: Mosquito
- Location: North West
I'm thinking of getting a new scanner (uniden_bearcat usc230) just for general use. I would like a model that picks up as many frequencies as possible. I live close to Manchester City Centre so would i be able to pick anything up at all? I've never had or used a scanner before so could anybody tell me if this is a good choice, or are there any better models out there for the same price(£100)?
a lot of services are going encripted but there are still some out there you will get no one can say you will deffently get taxies possably buses and traffic wardens you can only try

if it anit broke dont fix it
- Photographer
- Official CB Nut

- Posts: 76
- Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:51 pm
- CB Handle: Terminator / 26TM233
- Location: Northampton, UK
- Contact:
You won't pick up Police etc. now since they went onto digital (Airwaves) radios. But there is still tons of stuff you can listen to if you get a model with no gaps (ie. 0 to 1000 MHz+). This can be anything from cordless telephones to baby monitors to all aircraft etc. etc. It's a very addictive hobby and you'll get a good one (Yupiteru 7100) for £100 notes.
http://www.stphotography.org
In Northampton, next to the finest CB Radio Shop in the UK..!!
M3 FLP - 26 TM 233 - Photographer
In Northampton, next to the finest CB Radio Shop in the UK..!!
M3 FLP - 26 TM 233 - Photographer
-
BurnleyMan
- New to the Scene

- Posts: 2
- Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:48 pm
- CB Handle: Blackrod
- Location: Burnley, Lancashire
- Contact:
I used to be a big listener to the services that you weren't allowed to listen too, but the authorities generally turned a blind eye to if you weren't doing no harm. I actually had a very succesful website for Lancashire with a lot of good frequencies which are now useless, so the website shut. However, having recently purchased a double discone and a Uniden 785XLT, there's still many a good thing to listen to and i'm glad i've got back into it.
Keep searching around, you'll find some hidden gems.
Keep searching around, you'll find some hidden gems.
http://www.radioscanning.co.uk/ - Radio Scanning Forums
yes depending on what your after. e.g
I listen to aircraft usually as i am a plane spotter and can sometimes see the aircraft out of my window due to my location and have it on in the background when playing flight simulator
on the other hand if you aint interested in planes you can hear stuff like taxis and the occasional CB or HAM as police are spoil sports but to be perfectly honest it gets boring quickly
Hope this helps.
I listen to aircraft usually as i am a plane spotter and can sometimes see the aircraft out of my window due to my location and have it on in the background when playing flight simulator
on the other hand if you aint interested in planes you can hear stuff like taxis and the occasional CB or HAM as police are spoil sports but to be perfectly honest it gets boring quickly
Hope this helps.
- porky.69
- - - -> CB God <- - -

- Posts: 2144
- Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 8:11 pm
- Location: wolverhampton, uk
very true mines getting dusty lolbigwing wrote:yes depending on what your after. e.g
I listen to aircraft usually as i am a plane spotter and can sometimes see the aircraft out of my window due to my location and have it on in the background when playing flight simulator![]()
on the other hand if you aint interested in planes you can hear stuff like taxis and the occasional CB or HAM as police are spoil sports but to be perfectly honest it gets boring quickly
Hope this helps.
- killer cam
- - - -> CB God <- - -

- Posts: 1593
- Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm
- CB Handle: killer cam
- Location: Shrewsbury
just bought mine lol
M6TBR
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
- killer cam
- - - -> CB God <- - -

- Posts: 1593
- Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm
- CB Handle: killer cam
- Location: Shrewsbury
not mutch to listen to
M6TBR
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
I've got a scanner in the van, mainly picks up planes, but it also get mountain rescue and the coust guard when I'm on the moors or sea fishing, also have a handheld that covers more frequencies, can get cordless phones to tv, good for when the rig go's dead 

