Mobile CB Blues

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Post Reply
Drastic
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:26 pm

Hi All,

I know handheld CB's are not meant to be great for range with rubber ducks but I did not understand how bad.

I have two midland handhelds and tried them out by having one in the house with the wife and one with me while walking the dog. I must have been, as the crow flies, 200 meters from my house and the signal dropped. I know there was houses in between and FM is a line of sight technology but I thought this was a bit steep. I was literally around the corner.

In desperation, I flicked to an illegal AM channel at 4 watts. This, I thought, would have to be better as AM can 'bounce' and does not fall foul of the line of sight FM issues. Nope. Same issues. AM no better then FM. Not even old AM!

Gutted.

I know handhelds are bad but my goodness. I did not try with both units in the outside as the wife is unwillng to help too much with my communications obsession. Nor is she willing to have a 18 ft antenne stuck to the house. So my little love has stopped dead as it appears that I cannot even use the units to stay in touch around the village! :(

Go on lads - kick me while I am down if you like. I should have known. :)

Drastic
User avatar
Basilsparents
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall

Get a small external antennae... i'll recommend the Thunderpole Excalibur anyday :P

Hide one in the car @_@
Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:10 pm
CB Handle: Guzzy
Location: England

Stick the antenna on 'your side' of the house!?! :twisted:

Hand held CB's are a compromise. It's blooming difficult to get a 2.25m aerial on a hand held, so they compromise (a LOT!!!) with a little 'rubber duck' jobbie.

One solution is to take an external (the type you would normally mount to a house) antenna with you and operate from the tops of local hills. This can work as long as you can transport it and get it up in the air at the temporary location. I've seen it done with bicycles, so no excuses! :lol:

If you have a car it's even easier...

By the way, one of the reasons that PMR446 Walkie Talkies are so popular is that they work MUCH better as hand helds. the full size 1/4 wave aerial for one is only 17 1/2 centimeters! You get much greater range (maybe upto 2 miles?). Not as good as CB with a car or house mounted aerial though.
Round Baler
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 8:36 am
Location: Airdrie, Scotland, UK
Contact:

My 1st ever CB was a handheld with a PL259 -> BNC connector with a magmount on the car!

Worked just as good as a normal CB!

How about the SIRIO HY-POWER 3000 attached to a square plate and mounted on the roof? You shoudl get a good range as long as you earth it properly!

I would reccoment earthing it with copper wire and an earthing stab!

- Gordon
Round Baler

"We Cut The Crops That Feed The World"

Image
Post Reply