Mag mount woes

General Mobile CB antenna advice and troubleshooting
User avatar
plumb bob
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:11 am
Location: Kent, England

Hi all, just joined.

I have a 7" mag mont with a 5' springer fitted to the centre of my roof, the prolem is taht the SWA just won't come down below 2.5 on any channel, even though I've adjusted the length etc.
I'm beginning to think there's a fault on something some where, any advice.
Rob
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

no springers pick mup reflection from the roof and will mainly read high but if its not in the red then ok
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
plumb bob
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:11 am
Location: Kent, England

Hi, the SWA does go well into the red ( nearly 3) on the eu/ec band, but I'm more concerned about my lack of rx/tx as I just don't seem to have any range.
It's all about the MONEY
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

CHECK 1EC AND 40UK if higher on 40 uk shorten antenna



:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
plumb bob
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:11 am
Location: Kent, England

Yep, done all that, and no change.
I wondered if the body on my 4x4 isn't eathed well enough, and whether I should get another type of mount, and maybe try it on the bull bar, or rear bumper.
It's all about the MONEY
fatfinger
Official CB Legend!!!
Official CB Legend!!!
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:47 pm
Contact:

one word wilson1000 :lol:
User avatar
plumb bob
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:11 am
Location: Kent, England

To be honest, I don't wanna spend £70 on another antenna, when there are so few people to talk to in my area, I just wanna get the gear I have working correctly ( and cheaply) so a new mount and some coax, is gonna cost £20 tops, and if the problem is lack of good earthing on the body, then a £70 wilson won't fix that problem, and I'll have wasted my money.
I should think that all antenna should be able to SWA down to at least 1.5, I'd be more than happy with that.
It's all about the MONEY
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

if its a 4x4 with a metal body then a small wilson ie the little will is more than capeable of doing the job and swring perfectly

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
plumb bob
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:11 am
Location: Kent, England

Ok, I'll look into that, I wanted to get away from the mag mount anyway, and go for a fixed mount with a quick disconnect, I've just got to sort out a mount, I found this mount which will fit the rear tailgate of my Toyota, a lot of guys in the US use them; http://www.***********.com/product_info..

It looks like a very versatile mount, and it's stainless steel, the only thing is that it seems to come with a "firestick" mount, which I guess is different to the standard 3/8th mount we have here.

Any thoughts on this??
It's all about the MONEY
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

if there is a gutter on your vehical then use a sirio gutter mount from our sponsers make sure its a sirio as they are the best and strongest
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
plumb bob
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:11 am
Location: Kent, England

Nope, no gutter on a surf, that's why I looked at the door jamb mount, as it will fit almost anywhere, but I will be looking to get a better performing antenna too.
It's all about the MONEY
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

in that case then the wilson mag will sort you out yes a lot bof money to spend but will last you a life time had one for 20 years asnd still going strong

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it
buzzbrittain
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 2:21 pm

This is the same problem that i have with my 72 bay camper. I posted a message last week with the same problem. I have tried a mag mount along with a gutter mount and 2 types of aerial and 2 different swr's and still can't get it out of the red. My power in transmitting is pretty bas as well, can only get out about 0.5 miles ( if im lucky) I would have thought with a solid metal camper i could get a signal to the moon? Can anyone advise or anyone with a rig fitted to a Bay VW?
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

mag mount or a mag mount use with a dv27 and it will swr with no problem at all dead easy just slide the top up and down till you get it right

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
jdo330
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:59 pm
Location: Hertfordshire (but I get about a bit!)

Very strange, I have a 5ft springer and can get my SWR to 1.2 on UK20, 1.5 on UK1 & UK40. Admittedly its body mounted in the centre of the roof but having said that I had a problem at the weekend so tried my mag to see where the fault was and it was still under 1.5 on UK ch20.

A friend of mine has the Trucker 80 on a mag mount and he also has a low SWR (1.4 UK ch20) and thats factory set (ie, we havent adjusted it at all).

Out of interest, do you have any spare coax either coiled up or worse kinked? This will throw your SWR out.

Hope you get it sorted, these antenna's can be well tuned (more so the 5ft version).

ATB, Jon.
Post Reply