Page 4 of 5
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:28 pm
by gaspipe58
We have plenty of muppets - they just lack opposable thumbs and are therefore unable to manage the PTT button........
Tim

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:37 pm
by randombod
ellitanthalas wrote:andyh wrote:what a load of rubbish that was.
post edited no swearing use astrisks
I hope he's meaning the film, not my post!!
Yes, the film was a bit naff... I make allowances for it being Hollywood.
No-one could fall out of a car moving along at 40-50mph while wearing a t-shirt and NOT have lost a large amount of flesh through abrasive injury.
Trust me - It's something all motorcyclists will tell you.
However, like Tim said - Make it look cool and people will go for it.
How many people (be honest now) took up smoking and/or drinking because at the time it was considered cool?
trust me tarmac grating is common and my god its a pain to get those stones out!! (occupational hazzard)
question how can we make CB cool last time was dukes of hazard and that guy in the trans am who did the smuggling (name will come to me one day)

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:31 pm
by fatfinger
that would be the bandit from smokey and the bandit
burt reynolds
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:38 pm
by randombod
fatfinger wrote:that would be the bandit from smokey and the bandit
burt reynolds
ah the power of interlectual people!!! C now that was a cool era
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:50 pm
by gaspipe58
Just a thought - too tired to think round it but ........
I once belonged to a UFO group (web based) and we were wondering how to have a bit of fun. So some bright spark comes up with the idea of a 'Skywatch@. Yes that's right, 1,000s of sadsacks spend the night freezing to death looking for flying saucers. The idea still appeals to me not least cos it might get in the record books for being the greatest number of complete loonies frozen to death on a single night. Anyway, I asked about comms and there was much scratching of heads and keyboards - Answer....Mobile phones. My reply S

d off! 1to1 and expensive. How about CB? They umm'd and Arrr'd and suggested HAM and so on.
What do people think? It might be a way of introducing to others without them knowing. I still belong to a UFO group but have been completely inactive. Are there other groups that might want one off comms? Must something out there. Let's just think outside talking on the radio and think about WHY people might want/need to talk on the radio.....
Bed time now
Tim
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:02 am
by randombod
gaspipe58 wrote:Just a thought - too tired to think round it but ........
I once belonged to a UFO group (web based) and we were wondering how to have a bit of fun. So some bright spark comes up with the idea of a 'Skywatch@. Yes that's right, 1,000s of sadsacks spend the night freezing to death looking for flying saucers. The idea still appeals to me not least cos it might get in the record books for being the greatest number of complete loonies frozen to death on a single night. Anyway, I asked about comms and there was much scratching of heads and keyboards - Answer....Mobile phones. My reply S

d off! 1to1 and expensive. How about CB? They umm'd and Arrr'd and suggested HAM and so on.
What do people think? It might be a way of introducing to others without them knowing. I still belong to a UFO group but have been completely inactive. Are there other groups that might want one off comms? Must something out there. Let's just think outside talking on the radio and think about WHY people might want/need to talk on the radio.....
Bed time now
Tim
CB is FREE cheep to set up and once you have the gear lasts years. You can get good range on them and as a plus outsiders can listen to the group and get involved (if you let them)
I use CB when i am with the rescue team on single events to provide separate coms to the main radios i.e the team uses vhf as we r medical and support cover and the organisers use cb for check points and general coms and this works well. I have also used them during large scale events for medical cover but be warned b very careful what you say over them ...
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:35 pm
by gaspipe58
CB is FREE cheep to set up and once you have the gear lasts years. You can get good range on them and as a plus outsiders can listen to the group and get involved (if you let them)
Exactly why I suggested it. There were mutterings about range but my view is that is part of the fun and gets more people involved.
I think we do need to look at CB as a resource for others as well as a hobby in itself.
Tim
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:53 pm
by randombod
gaspipe58 wrote:CB is FREE cheep to set up and once you have the gear lasts years. You can get good range on them and as a plus outsiders can listen to the group and get involved (if you let them)
Exactly why I suggested it. There were mutterings about range but my view is that is part of the fun and gets more people involved.
I think we do need to look at CB as a resource for others as well as a hobby in itself.
Tim
could not agree more but remember what ofcom giveth us in freeness they can taketh away n charge
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:21 pm
by gaspipe58
I wasn't planning on inviting ofcom to the party
I think Ofcom are a bit stuck when it comes to CB. They can withdraw the UK freqs but not the EC ones. They can reintroduce license fees but then end up spending a fortune trying to enforce them.
We need to find a way of introducing young (or not) and intelligent people to CB. CB as a useful tool in another activity is one way to go but there must be others.
Tim
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:53 am
by randombod
gaspipe58 wrote:I wasn't planning on inviting ofcom to the party
I think Ofcom are a bit stuck when it comes to CB. They can withdraw the UK freqs but not the EC ones. They can reintroduce license fees but then end up spending a fortune trying to enforce them.
We need to find a way of introducing young (or not) and intelligent people to CB. CB as a useful tool in another activity is one way to go but there must be others.
Tim
we use them for general chit chat n when i ge the house sorted ill be fitting a home rig that will save me a fortune on phone calls one txt to get em on n away u go...... maybe worth looking at how ham has become so popular and seeing if that can be adapted i knwo range is the big issue here
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:59 pm
by Matt C
CB is alive and well with quite a lot of 'motorhomers'. It can be used on the move, including in the highlands where there is not always a phone signal, and also it is perfect for use 'on site', if you want to keep in touch with other vans parked elsewhere.
We use it to keep convoys in touch, and let others know about fuel-stops etc... It's a useful tool to be used on the road, and a 'fun' element when we're parked up.

Especially if your camped up in the middle of nowhere, no pubs and it's pi**ing down outside!!
It's handy too for listening in to what the lorry drivers are saying, as they usually know what is going on further up the road, I've had truckers who have been following us jump in 'on the side' to chat.
I used to have a 'home base', but I've dismantled it and don't bother with it now, up where I am, unless you are specifically using it for a reason, it's dead on all channels
As a kid, I used to have a home base. There was always someone interesting to speak to . It was alive, and each night would bring different conditions. Now it's so quiet that there's nothing to attact people to it.
The only future I can see for CB is for things like festivals, live gigs, or other mass events. We need for people to see it is still an active hobby, and that there are still users out there!!
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:23 pm
by stampman
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:57 pm
by Matt C
Oh No my man! You misunderstand me!
I always go camping with a fridge full of beer, especially when entering into 'pub free' wilderness of the highlands!!
Be prepared!
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:48 pm
by stampman
Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:28 pm
by Guzzy
CBers, a bad name and reputation???
Not possible, surely?
