Page 1 of 1

Very low output on Midland 98

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:16 pm
by jdo330
Hi All,

I think my Midland 98 plus is toast. I was out all day yesterday with some friends and I was having trouble breaking through their auto squelch but they could all hear each other fine. Did a few test and it would appear that unless I have perfect line of sight with another radio they cant hear me and range wise, I would estimate ive got 1/4 mile max in the open.

Anyway, when I got home I got the SWR meter out and tested everything. SWR was reading fine (1.2 on UK ch20 so happy with that - we were using 16 so I doubt this would have alterend much) but after a few goes on the SWR (you know, check & check again) it sprung up in the red so it would appear I have an intermitent SWR issue. Got a mag mount out and screwed in my antenna and it was fine over & over again so it would appear its the coax (must have crushed or pinched it somewhere?). :oops:

Anyway, as my radio now has super low power out, im assuming I must have trashed the output trasistors. Is this something I will be able to see inside the rig (ie, will there be a burnt thing in there)? I took the covers off both sides and everything looks fine, no obvious nasty bits.

Also, is there any way I can check the coax without removing it from the vehicle (its a pig of a job - headlining down etc)?

Thanks in advance...

ATB, Jon.

Re: Very low output on Midland 98

Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:00 am
by stampman
could be the output or driver in the set and you could check the coax with a multi meter but make sure the coax is soldered at both ends with no short when you bend the coax


:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Re: Very low output on Midland 98

Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:52 pm
by jdo330
Hi Stampman,

Well, it looks like ive been a lucky boy and the radio is OK. Took it to my local specialist who tested it out for me on a meter, the radio is still putting out 4w and TX / RX was fine.

Stripped the car (head-lining out etc) and removed the coax and managed to break the connector on the antenna end :oops: so had another one fitted. Was working OK and then on the final test we discovered a dead short. Further inspection revealed the connector (radio end of the lead) was iffy so this was re-fitted so all should be well now. Just need to put the vehicle back together now #-o

Anyway, I guess there is an argument here to keep the SWR meter in line especially for people who use their 4x4's off road (on the basis that the antenna could develop a fault)?

ATB, Jon.

Re: Very low output on Midland 98

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:51 am
by stampman
no the argument is to keep the fitting simple the its easy to sort if you keep the meter in line then you lose power through it


:D :D :D :D :D :D :D