Page 1 of 2

Boomerang

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:01 pm
by the spanner
Hi i was wondering if the boomberang twig is any good?

I need a twig to use at home that is not to big, and one that my parents wont get annoyed with stuck on their house, so i liked the look of the boomerang. Anyone have any ideas about this twig?

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:19 pm
by andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Hi and welcome to the forum :D

Basically, the Boomerang is a good twig if you cant go for anything bigger.

It wont work as well as, say a 1/2 wave but will outperform an Excalibur or a mobile antenna on a biscuit tin!

Andy :)

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:46 pm
by the spanner
:D it will work better than what im using at the moment then, a tiny ickle twig on top of a celebrations tin :lol:

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:25 pm
by Round Baler
Hi, I have the same problem as thespanner.

How would you mount it?

What sort of range would you get if it was on your roof?

- Gordon

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:28 pm
by Round Baler
Hi....Does anyone have the height and width of the bracket that is supplied with the boomerang twig?

I was thinking about mounting it like this:-

Image

Would I need to earth it and if so how would I do it?

Thanks,

- Gordon

Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:29 am
by simon007
I have here a Hurricane 27 which is a small 60cm antenna. Looks like a shrunk dipole. Had troubles with the swr initially but after mountng the antenna its working well. I have spoke to Poland and north Germany with it. Almost the same signals as with my Antron

Simon

Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:32 am
by Round Baler
Hi, how far are you from Poland?

Have you got a link for the antenna?

Thanks,

- Gordon

Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:35 am
by Round Baler
Could we possibly have some pictures of the antenna, the mountings etc...?

- Gordon

Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:03 pm
by andy@thunderpole.co.uk
The mounting bracket is 35cm x 2cm.

I will take some snaps later on today and post them here...

Andy :)

Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:24 pm
by Round Baler
Thanks for the info! :wink:

It was much appreciated!

- Gordon

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:59 pm
by andy@thunderpole.co.uk
I've been outside in the beautiful sunshine and taken some pics. It was a hard job but someone had to do it :wink:

Image

The mounting - A flat metal bar with two holes to either attach to a wall/surface with two bolts or onto a 2" pole with a u-bolt...

Image

Hope these help...

Andy :D

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:07 pm
by Round Baler
Thanks Andy, those do help!

I will think about it. I am going to college in September so I'm unsure weather to buy 1 just now or not as I will not be at home to use it.

I will be taking the SIRIO HYPOWER 3000 that I'm using just now and put it on my window ledge at college!

I would wonder if I could bend the bracket(where the holes are) up 90 degrees do that i could attach it to the plastic going round my house.

Do you need to earth the boomerang?

Thanks,

- Gordon

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:29 pm
by andy@thunderpole.co.uk
You should be able to bend the bracket to fit it to your house, you would probably need a big hammer or something though!

As far as earthing goes, you dont need to, but you can earth the mount if you want to. The best way is to run a wire down to an earthing spike pushed into the ground.

Andy :wink:

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:29 pm
by Round Baler
Thanks Andy :wink:

- Gordon

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:32 pm
by Round Baler
Andy: What is that antenna you were taking pics of above?

Can you send me the link please!

- Gordon