Page 1 of 2
Problem with my Magnum....
Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:39 am
by hobgobblin
I'm without my Magnum 257 for a week now: it packed up last weekend....just wouldn't power up, i.e. turn on. Checked cables, fuse etc... all ok. Contacted supplier by email and give them their due they've been great at replying quickly and sending me a returns number. It was all packaged up and sent Special Delivery Tuesday. Really missing being on 10 meters! Anyone any ideas what the problem could be? I'm hoping it's something simple and that it's covered by the warranty!!

Re: Problem with my Magnum....
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:10 am
by stampman
Re: Problem with my Magnum....
Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:22 pm
by hobgobblin
THANKS!
Good news is it was something simple and covered by the warranty....on/off/volume switch was worn out!! It's been fixed and is on the way back to me!!!

Re: Problem with my Magnum....
Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:06 pm
by stampman
Re: Problem with my Magnum....
Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:32 pm
by hobgobblin
Another problem now! This time with the Wilson 5000 Antenna (centre loaded trucker model tuned for 10m)....anyway, the swr was up so I tried un-doing the allen screws: one's knackered, so can't adjust or cut whip!! The tri-star and beehive mount are inseparable too!!! Argh!!!! Bit of a panic (I do tend to when it comes to these sort of things)....I've ordered a Hustler HF Mobile System: Hustler MO-1 Mast, RM-10-S Super Resonator and SSM-2 Mount.....all to get fitted on the car. Are these all ok? Have I got it right??
p.s. Wilson is for the bin!!!!!
Re: Problem with my Magnum....
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:01 pm
by hobgobblin
Re: Problem with my Magnum....
Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:50 pm
by hobgobblin
BRILLIFANT! Qso'd with a ham in Slovenia yesterday evening over 1000 miles away!! WOW!!! Hustler and Magnum set-up is fantabulous!!!!

Re: Problem with my Magnum....
Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:18 pm
by killer cam
Re: Problem with my Magnum....
Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:34 am
by jumpingmaster
hustler mobile antenna sounds good, have fun on IOTA. if i get time i shall tune about while mobile..you shouldn't have any trouble selling the wilson... antenna
good to see you got the magnum sorted..
Re: Problem with my Magnum....
Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:08 pm
by White Magic
I had a problem with by 257 just after the warranty ran out
I keep loosing the incoming signal, it'll be for example on 3 pounds and as I'm listening I suddenly loose the breaker and theres no poundage. If I key the mike quickly I can hear them again and the poundage shows back up on the radio, if I don't I wouldn't get a copy with them again.
When I first turn the rig on and its on channel 19 theres nobody on the air, again if I key the mike for a second I can then start hearing breakers talking
I haven't had it looked at as I don't use it often. I have another radio that has no problems so I don't think its anything to do with the antenna.
Tony
Re: Problem with my Magnum....
Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:13 pm
by stampman
Re: Problem with my Magnum....
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:20 pm
by White Magic
Just tried changing the mic, no difference.
Re: Problem with my Magnum....
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:26 pm
by stampman
Re: Problem with my Magnum....
Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:27 pm
by hobgobblin
Really happy with my Magnum 257! Sorry to hear you've been having problems!! Just been out to do 10 meters mobile (usb portion of the band) and got a 5, 7 report and a nice ragchew...it's nearly blowing a gale up here!!! Went out earlier 'cause the forecast looks awful!!!! Don't fancy having the Hustler up on the car when it gets worse!!!!!
Re: Problem with my Magnum....
Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:35 pm
by extremedave
is there any difference between the magnum257 and this...
http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/albrecht-ae485s.html ?