Page 1 of 1
Power output
Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:26 pm
by fenlander
Hi
I have just aquired a midland (other company) and seem to have problems recieving so i have brought an SWR meter from Thunderpole (SWR 171).
On testing my rig i found the SWR to be just under 2.0 so ok there, but the power output to be just 2 watts is this ok, if not what could the problem be?
Eagerly waiting your reply.
Fenlander.

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:32 pm
by Basilsparents
THe power output should be making no difference to how it receives

However, the fact that it's at 2 watts is a bit naff, should be twice... but no, the power output shouldn't affect the receiving
Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:40 pm
by Round Baler
How are you powering the CB?
- Gordon
Power output
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:22 am
by fenlander
I have a cigarette lighter adaptor fitted is this ok?
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:55 pm
by Round Baler
Thats what I do and I seem to recieve 4 watts perfectly!
Try wiring it directly to the battery. If you still only recieve 2 watts then it is either your SWR/Power meter or the CB itself
- Gordon
Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:01 am
by andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Hi Fenlander,
If the power output is only 2 watts then it is probably a problem with the radio. The cigar lighter socket is capable of running up to 10 amps so this shouldn't make a difference.
From memory though Midland didn't make a Rig called a (other company)? If it is an old (other company) rig then they were prone to problems anyway.
The power output problem wouldn't cause poor receive though. But if your SWR is ok and you can transmit ok then it would indicate your antenna and cable are ok so I would presume there is a different fault with your radio.
I would start by getting your radio checked out properly and taking it from there.
Andy

Power output
Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:17 pm
by fenlander
Hi Andy
thanks for the advice i will sort it out. my rig is a (other company) i posted the message before i realised that i had mistakenly added the midland as a prefix, doh! I am new to cb use as you have probaley guessed.
