Page 1 of 1

Homebase for New(ish)bie?

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:04 pm
by ellitanthalas
Heya,

I just moved to a house and am now looking to get a proper homebase antenna set up, rather than the balcony Boomerang I have at the minute. It's a nice countryside place, fairly open lines of sight, with the top of the house about 55m above sea level.

I'm hoping to get landlord permission to whack a support pole up on the chimney using ratchet bands (no drilling holes) or somesuch, with a decent antenna to boot.
I have a few questions, though:


I'm looking for the best performance I can get, obviously, but I'd prefer the least obtrusive too. I reckon a plain antenna, ie one without massive radials, would appease the landlord best.
Really I only want to avoid the Antron as I've heard too many bad stories about it, but I was mostly looking at the following:

5/8 Wave Hi-Gain
Thunderpole 5
Sirio Gainmaster

What are people's thoughts on these? Is the Gainmaster too specialised for a CB Newbie? Is there a better one for my needs? I have a Midland 48 Plus Multi. I may check out the EU channels sometimes, but I'll mostly be on the UK band.


Secondly, how do I SWR these in? ie, do I make the adjustments before I get it up on the mounting pole, or somehow do it in situ?


Third - Do I need to earth the pole or anything? If so, what are the best options?


Looking forward to getting back on the air!!

Cheers,
Woody.

Re: Homebase for New(ish)bie?

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:11 pm
by stampman
realy what takes your fancy Ive used the antron for about 15 years with no problem you have to put the number of complaints against the number sold to put them in to perspective


*King* *King* *King* *King*

Re: Homebase for New(ish)bie?

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:53 pm
by ellitanthalas
Well, mostly it''s the build quality - Many of the reviews I've found on the Antron have told how things broke easily, how it's thin wires go and how they need XYZ faffing around to fix and keep in working order.

I'd rather go with something like one of those I mentioned above that seem more reliable. It would be awkward to have to keep taking the thing down to fiddle with, especially as it'll be installed by a friend of mine (who does this sort of thing for a living) who I'd rely on every time it needed messing with.

So yeah - What are your thoughts?

Re: Homebase for New(ish)bie?

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:18 pm
by stampman
like most forums you only hear about problems on them not the ones who have been using equipment for years with no problem but at the end of the day its down to witch you fancy if your like me you will change your mind in 12 months and try another but the antron i had up did the job fine till i put a 2meter/70cm/6meter co liner up


*King* *King* *King* *King*

Re: Homebase for New(ish)bie?

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:53 am
by ellitanthalas
Righty oh. I'll probably go with the Thunderpole 5.

So I SWR this in on the ground before putting it up, yeah?
Do I need to earth the mast at all?

Re: Homebase for New(ish)bie?

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:04 pm
by stampman
no it should be fine

*King* *King* *King* *King*

Re: Homebase for New(ish)bie?

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:01 pm
by ellitanthalas
Cheers Stampy - You really are a CB god!! =D> *King*

Re: Homebase for New(ish)bie?

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:21 am
by stampman
i thank you (im blushing now)


*King* *King* *King* *King*

Re: Homebase for New(ish)bie?

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:04 pm
by joe jeep
How is the Thunderpole 5, I was thinking of getting one when I move house.

Cheers
Joseph

Re: Homebase for New(ish)bie?

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:40 pm
by ellitanthalas
Will let ya know once I actually buy one :wink:

Been kinda busy buying stuff to make the rest of the house work, first.

Re: Homebase for New(ish)bie?

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:02 pm
by police man
good luck with the new antenna .. ive had my a99 for over 12 years now and it still works well :D