Page 1 of 1
Groundplane and vehicle roof....
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:37 pm
by Morat
Hi there, I'm brand new to CB so I'm a bit confused. My setup is an intek h-520 plus with a car adapter kit and a mag mount mini orbiter I bought from Thunderpole. At least I ordered a mini orbiter but it said Trucker 80 on the packet... I don't think there's a whole lot of difference.
I've stuck the magmount on the rear left of the roof (easy cable run) and I was wondering if I'd be better off putting it in the middle of the roof to get a better ground plane. Also, does it make any difference that the roof of this vehicle (Jeep Cherokee) isn't flat and has roof bars on it?
Thanks for your answers

Morat
Re: Groundplane and vehicle roof....
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:59 pm
by stampman
Re: Groundplane and vehicle roof....
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:03 pm
by Morat
OK, thanks Stampman. The rear bar is only about six inches away at the moment, I'll move it forwards and see if it helps. I might move the base towards the centreline too - at the moment it is leaning slightly because the roof is curved.
Re: Groundplane and vehicle roof....
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:11 pm
by joe jeep
Stick it in the middle of the roof and your swr should be fine, i have roofbars aswell but my swr is 1.2:1 and that is a mag with a modulator on it.
Cheers
Joseph
Re: Groundplane and vehicle roof....
Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:58 pm
by Morat
Is your jeep a Cherokee (XJ) by any chance?
Anyway, I've moved the antenna and shoved the roof bars as far forward and back as they will go. Now I just need to get my hands on an SWR meter for long enough to check it all out.

Thanks for the help.
Morat
Re: Groundplane and vehicle roof....
Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm
by joe jeep
No it's not, we have a VW Touran, but the jeep I have is a 1944 Willys MB, is stick the mag in the back corner and the body as it is all steel is fantastic as a groundplane and the modulator looks just right, mainly for convoy work but i have had a 12 mile contact on it so all gd, hope you have good luck finding a swr meter if not our sponsors sell them, phone them up and ask for andy he'll sort you out, he is always a great help for me!
Cheers
Joseph