Page 1 of 1
Baofeng Radios on Ebay
Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:20 pm
by davidjamesinc
Hello all I'm new to this forum and my knowledge of radios is small. I am desperately trying to learn though, so please be patient and explain things like you're talking to an idiot and you might be close. I currently use a Midland 42 and an Intek 5050 which, thus far, has been used on the road. So what is the gig with these Baofeng radios on ebay? They don't seem to use the same channels as my stuff but it appears that no licence is needed. They are higher power than my 446 and have a greater channel selection. They seem well priced and have lots of features but are they legal? in fact can any one fill me in on all the pros and cons as, on the face of it, they,might be worth adding to collection. Answers on a postcard please.

Re: Baofeng Radios on Ebay
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:22 pm
by HighwayPatrol
The Baofeng walkie talkies can be re programmed with the 8 PMR 446 channels making it possible for you to get a lot further than the rubbishy PMRs that are on sale at stupid prices. Instead of 0.5w, the Baofeng with 446 programmed in to it will give you 5 watts
Re: Baofeng Radios on Ebay
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:40 am
by andy@thunderpole.co.uk
However be aware that using above 0.5 watts on PMR446 frequencies is not legal in the UK.
Andy

Re: Baofeng Radios on Ebay
Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:38 pm
by HighwayPatrol
I havent got one myself but i am tempted.Its a shame that we cant have more power and channels on PMR. Lets face it, 0.5w really sucks.I ended up getting rid of mine and they were really nice, Binatone Action 750s but useless in the house.