Slowly getting there, but still need advice!

A place for new members to say hello
Post Reply
Styles
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:41 pm

Hey every one, I have owned a Midland 3001 since the eighties I think I got it as a “swap” :D I dabbled back then but didn’t have a SWR meter.
Recently I thought I should try and get it going after all these years, so bought a SWR meter. But my power supply actually blew up with a bang! So I bought a new power supply and tried to figure out how to tune my antenna. The SWR was in the red and it was only after watching a “Fred in the shed” video that I learned about putting tin foil under my magmount (that was on a metal baking tray) it worked! My SWR came right down and I started hearing the odd very faint conversation! Since then I have bought a T2LT off ebay which seems a little better. I have heard a few chats that have been really clear, one guy was 18 miles away which I was pleased about. But I tried to get a radio check and come in from the side but I don’t think they receive me, does any one know why or have any suggestions to what I can try next?

Cheers Styles
Post Reply