Page 1 of 1

CB base station antenna

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:35 pm
by JohnKey
Hi All,
The roofers are going to fix my roof and the chimney that is 50/50 with my neighbour.
I thought to use the opportunity and mount the antenna.
There are 2 TV antennas attached to the chimney already.
I don't watch TV myself but I was thinking if this is going to affect the neighbour's TV reception.
The chimney is about 10m high up. Is this a good place to put it or should I install it somewhere else or in the backyard?
I cannot mount it to the wall because it's insulated.

Are there any regs regarding this? I reckon it has to be earthed.

Thank you

Re: CB base station antenna

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:11 pm
by Hair Bear
Hi, What antenna is it? What radio are you using? The type of radio doesn't make a huge difference, I'm just nosey!
I would think there's a high probability of de-sensing the tv signal, but you can't ever be sure until you try it. Depending on your location, the digital tv signal is easily disrupted and can be iffy at best. Height is always good but you may have to live longer with the neighbours than the hobby.
If your insulated wall is a normal brick cavity type I don't see any immediate reason why you can't use 'TK' brackets and wall anchors.
Earthing... You can put a lightning arrestor on the coax line and ground that - I'm not sure many do though. I have seen a mounting bracket wired to a ground spike but I'm not sure what this was supposed to achieve.
Hope that helps, with any luck more experienced voices will be along shortly! 8-)

Re: CB base station antenna

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:58 pm
by JohnKey
Basically there is no radio or antenna yet but I started looking for some used kit on the Internet. I actually like to buy used stuff from people as you meet the owner and he can tell me a lot of useful stuff so it is not just a transaction.
I have about 4-5 weeks before the roofers come so I decided to do some research.

I live at about 100m elevation so there is some advantage to the North, East and South. Area to the West gets higher and higher.
Thank you for reply. I am going to revise the setup since I know that the antenna will not go on the chimney.
The wall itself gives me only 4m tops, I could install it on a wooden pole further down the garden not to upset other antennas.

Re: CB base station antenna

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:11 pm
by Hair Bear
It's difficult to give firm advice as every installation will be unique with many variables in play. What works well in one place may suffer somewhere else. Do you have a specific working distance in mind ie a known group 4 or 5 miles away perhaps, or just as far a possible?
Beware of second hand antennas. Many base station types are mainly made of aluminium with mazak/ferrous fittings, the result of which is dissimilar metal corrosion. Joints in the ally corrode causing capacitive couplings, and the ferrous fittings can snap or crumble which can't be repaired, replaced, or refitted. Some have a printed circuit load in them and that deteriorates over time as well. In my experience, antennas in general are usually only changed when they don't perform well or, more likely, no longer work at all. You need to ask yourself why it's being replaced.
When locating your mast, consider ease of access for maintenance. How easy is it to drop it if there's a problem? Maintenance is a doddle on the lawn compared with trying to fault-find a duff coax connection halfway up a roof.
What is in the risk radius if it comes down unplanned?
Please don't think I'm being negative, but I've seen lots of these sorts of issues both base and mobile, which can cause frustration and dissapointment, ultimately turning someone away from a fun and interesting hobby.

Re: CB base station antenna

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:34 pm
by JohnKey
I come across a seller who sells the radio and a brand new antenna he never managed to put in. I stay away from used antennas. Thanks.

I think I sacrifice the range but then I won't have to invest in ladders and as you said any problems with connectors / cabling can be fixed on the ground or a reasonable height.
I have a hedge that is quite high, about 4m, maybe I could attach the antenna to it.

Re: CB base station antenna

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:55 pm
by Hair Bear
My antenna is an 18' grp type with only the top 6' being the radiating element. It's mounted by way of a 6' putlock hammered into the ground abut 3', then a 6' scaffold pole clamped to it. The base of the antenna is at the top of this so the top of the whole construction is around 24'. This is set in amongst tree branches so it is very loosley tethered to a couple of branches at about 15' so it's still supported in wind but no guy wires. It works for me but it's not to everyone's taste!