Search found 19 matches
- Wed May 06, 2020 8:29 pm
- Forum: CB Radios
- Topic: ssb radios.
- Replies: 1
- Views: 15074
ssb radios.
Hi. I have bought my first ssb radio........ a superstar 3900. Can't afford anything else i'm afraid. Up until now I have only used fm and am rigs so know nothing about ssb. Any advice on what channels are best to listen to? Will my antenna that I use for uk fm work ok for ssb? I have had a little ...
- Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:49 am
- Forum: Channel 19
- Topic: No need for social distancing when you have a cb radio
- Replies: 17
- Views: 40671
Re: No need for social distancing when you have a cb radio
Yes, thats the same as the "static" that i'm getting! Like bacon frying......
- Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:55 am
- Forum: Introduce Yourself
- Topic: CB near Southport
- Replies: 10
- Views: 20044
Re: CB near Southport
Hi. Like you I too pulled my old rigs out! Couldn't hear anything on am and only the odd one on uk fm ..............until I bought a homebase antenna a silver rod from thunderpole. What a difference! I can hear a few (not many) on AM and loads on the fm.
- Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:49 am
- Forum: Channel 19
- Topic: No need for social distancing when you have a cb radio
- Replies: 17
- Views: 40671
Re: No need for social distancing when you have a cb radio
I have pulled out all my old radios i.e harrier cb, harrier cbx (well worn), york jcb, Harrier homebase and I have also bought a new midland 78 which I havn't set up yet. Bought a new silver rod for the house and dug out my old antenna for the car! Next on the list is a thunderpole orbiter . I have ...
- Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:41 am
- Forum: Channel 19
- Topic: No need for social distancing when you have a cb radio
- Replies: 17
- Views: 40671
Re: No need for social distancing when you have a cb radio
Couldn't agree more. Although for the last week there seems to be constant interference on every channel in bursts blocking out all but the closest copies................ very strange????????
- Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:09 pm
- Forum: Channel 19
- Topic: is it skip?
- Replies: 1
- Views: 15107
is it skip?
Hi all. I have had something on every channel for at least 3 days. Whatever it is causes the needle on my cb to go at least half way up in bursts so it's impossible to hear anyone that's not on my doorstep! Is this skip? 
- Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:20 pm
- Forum: CB Antennas
- Topic: Thunderpole silver rod
- Replies: 7
- Views: 24206
Re: Thunderpole silver rod
Hi. If it's new there shouldn't be a problem with it. Check that you have wired the plugs correctly it's easy to make a mistake (some good advice on youtube) I have had problems with connections in the past causing similar. Make sure your shield wire isn't in contact with the core wire etc.
- Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:12 pm
- Forum: Channel 19
- Topic: quiet on the radio today
- Replies: 2
- Views: 14940
quiet on the radio today
Thought the cb would be a good way of passing some time on lockdown but it seems I forgot that many around me are mobile so there is nothing much to listen to!! Merthyr Tydfil area South Wales.
- Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:07 pm
- Forum: Technical Help
- Topic: powering a CTE 747 amplifier
- Replies: 3
- Views: 16822
Re: powering a CTE 747 amplifier
Thanks for the advice. I have purchased a second hand 30 amp power supply so that should do the job.
I havn't tried the amp yet though!
- Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:53 pm
- Forum: Introduce Yourself
- Topic: Hello from South Wales
- Replies: 12
- Views: 11480
Re: Hello from South Wales
Hello all. I've set my homebase up with old school harrier cbx and silver rod antenna and it;s surprising how many breakers are in the south wales area and i'm hearing breakers from Cardiff and Bristol. The old cb ing seems to be coming back....... 
- Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:12 pm
- Forum: CB Antennas
- Topic: Thunderpole silver rod
- Replies: 7
- Views: 24206
Re: Thunderpole silver rod
Are you sure your coax lead connections are sound. Is the antenna high off the ground? Does the swr vary at all with length?
- Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:07 pm
- Forum: Technical Help
- Topic: powering a CTE 747 amplifier
- Replies: 3
- Views: 16822
powering a CTE 747 amplifier
Hi all. Just bought a little CTE 747 amplifier and I need to know what to power it with. Could I get a 20 or 30 watt
bench power supply and run my fm cb and the amp together. Would the 30 amps be too powerfull to run the cb if I took the amp off? Any suggestions as to what I could use not ...
bench power supply and run my fm cb and the amp together. Would the 30 amps be too powerfull to run the cb if I took the amp off? Any suggestions as to what I could use not ...
- Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:00 pm
- Forum: CB Antennas
- Topic: Thunderpole silver rod
- Replies: 7
- Views: 24206
Re: Thunderpole silver rod
I've been thinking of making some kind of hinge system so I can lower it in bad wind. The answer eventually will to buy a more expensive antenna! Though a chap a few doors down from me still has his silver rod up since the early 1990's.........no longer in use and slightly bent but not too bad ...
- Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:48 pm
- Forum: CB Radios
- Topic: AM only cobra 19dx1v
- Replies: 2
- Views: 7845
Re: AM only cobra 19dx1v
OK Thanks for that.
- Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:47 pm
- Forum: CB Radios
- Topic: Fidelity 3000
- Replies: 0
- Views: 7944
Fidelity 3000
Hi all. I plugged in my old fidelity 3000 today and all seemed fine until I dropped below channel 10. When I key the mic at channel 10 or less it transmits for 2 seconds and then nout with mic still keyed and further down the channels I can see the needle move backwards on the scale. Any ideas???
