with things going the way thay are nowadays we where thinking of getting a uniden bearcat scanner fitted in the car or indoors for use in a disaster situation and noseyness, what do you think?
having read some of the posts im now thinking its not worth it for £285 as you say most services are encoded or digital?
be straight guys is there anything worth listening to other than taxis.
you know what it is, the photos of the bearcat scanner shows Police, military etc on the display. I think thats what got me interested.
I want to listen to secret operations, stealth bombers, ufo's and the space station!!!!
come on thunderpole make it happen.
scanning
-
hotmetal1000
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 134
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:00 am
- Location: Queensland, Australia
The International Space Station has an amature radio setup on it and as an amature radio operator you can talk to the people on the ISS at times. I think they normally will operate for a couple of hours a day. I'm trying to pick up some SSTV pictures from the ISS at the moment but the problem is they have to be sending out a picture as it flies overhead which down here in Aus is proving difficult.
I don't know if you can pick up other NASA comminucations.
I don't know if you can pick up other NASA comminucations.
- killer cam
- - - -> CB God <- - -

- Posts: 1593
- Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm
- CB Handle: killer cam
- Location: Shrewsbury
can u get police
M6TBR
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
-
hotmetal1000
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 134
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:00 am
- Location: Queensland, Australia
lol, you can hear some funny stuff at times. 
-
hobgobblin
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm
- CB Handle: Hobgobblin
- Location: Isle of Bute
Scanning is just one of my radio interests. I recommend you get yourself a Scanning Directory so that you can have a look at and see what's about in your area and beyond. I won't tell you what I've picked up with my radios ('cause you never know who's reading this
) but I will tell you it's a brilliant part of the hobby and well worth spending some money on some goodies!
73's
Hobgobblin
73's
Hobgobblin
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
-
hobgobblin
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm
- CB Handle: Hobgobblin
- Location: Isle of Bute
I know Thunderpole stock the best Scanning Directory and my advice is get yourself a copy. Then, when you get it, have a good look through to give yourself an idea of what you're likely to pick up in your area. Knowing that you can then choose the best scanner for the frequencies you want to programme in and listen to. A handy tip is "a handheld is a good choice to go for - you can use it out and about, in the car with a mag mount antenna AND at home with a base antenna". I had a fairly basic scanner to start with which was ok. The beauty I have now covers 100khz - 1300mhz, NFM, WFM, AM, USB, LSB...IT REALLY IS SUPERB! It was expensive but it was well worth it. Anyway, here's hoping you find this useful!!
73's
Hobgobblin
73's
Hobgobblin
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller

