Specific Advice Needed Before we Buy

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Post Reply
Pig_Pen
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 6:51 pm

A friend and I travel extensively through Europe, mainly France. We have been using those little two way 8 channel radios between cars to chat and to ensure we don't get split up. But they are not that clear, and not that easy to use when driving. So we hatched a plan. A couple of CB radios would do the trick.

So we started looked about. Looked on eBay, looked at some websites until we found this place. We liked the look of the starter kit you have, nice small unit, with a mix and match mounting. But before we buy some kit we have a few questions to make sure we get what's best for us.

We need radios that we can use in France as well as the UK.
We don't need much in the way of range.
We do need easy to use with clear sound - can you use an earpiece?
We don't want HUGE yellow fishing rod aerials, in fact the smaller the better.
Do we need to SWR the units you sell as a starter pack, or will they be close enough?
Ohhh and we don't want to spend a fortune :D

All help and advice greatly received ;)
User avatar
Basilsparents
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall

Pig_Pen wrote: We need radios that we can use in France as well as the UK.
We don't need much in the way of range.
We do need easy to use with clear sound - can you use an earpiece?
We don't want HUGE yellow fishing rod aerials, in fact the smaller the better.
Do we need to SWR the units you sell as a starter pack, or will they be close enough?
Ohhh and we don't want to spend a fortune :D
#1: Any CB radio that can use the 40 EU channels: I believe that Thunderpole doesn't sell any that don't have these channels anymore.
#2: Well, make sure to get a LITTLE range. Although all CB radios have the same range, it's all in the aerial.
#3: Most CB radios are clear at close range: however, the midland 38 (I think) or 98 are nice clear radios. I like midlands. However, the only radios I am aware of that can use an earpiece are handhelds: which tend to be expensive (and less reliable!)
#4: You can get an aerial that's only about one and a half to two feet high: mounted on a magmount on your car, that should be perfect for range.
#5: I don't personally believe in SWR meters as a necessity... I wouldn't bother... they do however detect faults! My advice is not to bother though, or pick up a really old one off Ebay if you do. They are rarely broken and mine cost about three quid with postage :?
#6: If you want something new, I would stay here, if you know what you're doing, go to ebay: but I find newer CB radios on Ebay are an absolute pitfall, and very difficult to buy. I recommend Midland 38 or 98 from here personally...

*By the way, can I point out that I'm no expert, just a keen amatuer?
Pig_Pen
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 6:51 pm

Thanks for all those pointers. Are there any units that have an earphone output on them, maybe I could plug a headset into there?
User avatar
Basilsparents
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall

All CB radios have an external speaker socket but I think that may be too powerful for headphones :?
Round Baler
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 8:36 am
Location: Airdrie, Scotland, UK
Contact:

Hi Pig Pen.....I would suggest an external speaker instead of earpieces!

- Gordon
Round Baler

"We Cut The Crops That Feed The World"

Image
Pig_Pen
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 6:51 pm

Hey an earpiece would make me feel like Agent Smith from the Matrix 8)

Anyone have any idea what the sound quality out of the starter unit that Thunderpole sells is like?
Post Reply