Legal Radio with variable output power?

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Post Reply
User avatar
Fat Rat
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: West Wales

Does such a beast exist?
simon007
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 8:14 am
CB Handle: Simon007

Only the older radios with 4w and .4w I think.

Most new ones are just 4w these days, Inteks can be modded for more power but not for less

So maybe old school radios unless some handhelds like Alan 42 or Intek H520 have hi/lo
Writer of Comms from Europe Radio User Magazine
User avatar
Fat Rat
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: West Wales

I want to run an Amplifier and my current Radio appears to peak at 8W :shock: and this will do the Amp no favours. I was trying to avoid having to buy an Attenuator :(
Last edited by Fat Rat on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:11 pm

What radio is it .
User avatar
Fat Rat
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: West Wales

Dragonfly wrote:What radio is it .
It's a Maycom EM-27 (I have two of them)
User avatar
Eviltwin
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:41 pm
Location: Inbred, Suffolk

If its been tweeked for more power, chances are it can be de-tweeked back to the standard 4w
I'm no expert, please take anything i say with a tablespoon of salt!
User avatar
Fat Rat
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: West Wales

Eviltwin wrote:If its been tweeked for more power, chances are it can be de-tweeked back to the standard 4w
I didn't really want to get involved in playing with pots :(
Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:11 pm

Well if u have 2 of these u could turn one down to 5 wats for use with small burners .

Pic from me old scribble pad .
Maycom EM 27 / Radioshack 1018 / President Harrison
Image
Last edited by Dragonfly on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Fat Rat
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: West Wales

Fat Rat wrote:
Eviltwin wrote:If its been tweeked for more power, chances are it can be de-tweeked back to the standard 4w
I didn't really want to get involved in playing with pots :(
Well it just goes to show I shouldn't be so lazy, a quick search on Google brought this up

Image

Sure enough, VR1 was opened up to the max (do people still tweak Radio's to the max?) :roll: I now have it back down to 4W. Thanks for the inspiration :mrgreen:
User avatar
Eviltwin
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:41 pm
Location: Inbred, Suffolk

Can anyone recommend these Maycom's? they seem fairly well specified, for a reasonable price...

Is it right they only tx on FM and no AM?
I'm no expert, please take anything i say with a tablespoon of salt!
simon007
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 8:14 am
CB Handle: Simon007

Indeed the Maycom / President Harrison / Stabo / Radioshack and the same radio under different names is FM from the Box

http://www.radiomods.co.nz/presidentharrisonmods.html

This shows AM also, but mine only ever tx on FM even when modified
Writer of Comms from Europe Radio User Magazine
Post Reply