Heya,
I just moved to a house and am now looking to get a proper homebase antenna set up, rather than the balcony Boomerang I have at the minute. It's a nice countryside place, fairly open lines of sight, with the top of the house about 55m above sea level.
I'm hoping to get landlord permission to whack a support pole up on the chimney using ratchet bands (no drilling holes) or somesuch, with a decent antenna to boot.
I have a few questions, though:
I'm looking for the best performance I can get, obviously, but I'd prefer the least obtrusive too. I reckon a plain antenna, ie one without massive radials, would appease the landlord best.
Really I only want to avoid the Antron as I've heard too many bad stories about it, but I was mostly looking at the following:
5/8 Wave Hi-Gain
Thunderpole 5
Sirio Gainmaster
What are people's thoughts on these? Is the Gainmaster too specialised for a CB Newbie? Is there a better one for my needs? I have a Midland 48 Plus Multi. I may check out the EU channels sometimes, but I'll mostly be on the UK band.
Secondly, how do I SWR these in? ie, do I make the adjustments before I get it up on the mounting pole, or somehow do it in situ?
Third - Do I need to earth the pole or anything? If so, what are the best options?
Looking forward to getting back on the air!!
Cheers,
Woody.
Homebase for New(ish)bie?
- ellitanthalas
- Official CB Nut

- Posts: 58
- Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:01 pm
- Location: Reading, Berkshire
- Contact:
It's not about luck, it's about skill.
realy what takes your fancy Ive used the antron for about 15 years with no problem you have to put the number of complaints against the number sold to put them in to perspective

if it anit broke dont fix it
- ellitanthalas
- Official CB Nut

- Posts: 58
- Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:01 pm
- Location: Reading, Berkshire
- Contact:
Well, mostly it''s the build quality - Many of the reviews I've found on the Antron have told how things broke easily, how it's thin wires go and how they need XYZ faffing around to fix and keep in working order.
I'd rather go with something like one of those I mentioned above that seem more reliable. It would be awkward to have to keep taking the thing down to fiddle with, especially as it'll be installed by a friend of mine (who does this sort of thing for a living) who I'd rely on every time it needed messing with.
So yeah - What are your thoughts?
I'd rather go with something like one of those I mentioned above that seem more reliable. It would be awkward to have to keep taking the thing down to fiddle with, especially as it'll be installed by a friend of mine (who does this sort of thing for a living) who I'd rely on every time it needed messing with.
So yeah - What are your thoughts?
It's not about luck, it's about skill.
like most forums you only hear about problems on them not the ones who have been using equipment for years with no problem but at the end of the day its down to witch you fancy if your like me you will change your mind in 12 months and try another but the antron i had up did the job fine till i put a 2meter/70cm/6meter co liner up

if it anit broke dont fix it
- ellitanthalas
- Official CB Nut

- Posts: 58
- Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:01 pm
- Location: Reading, Berkshire
- Contact:
Righty oh. I'll probably go with the Thunderpole 5.
So I SWR this in on the ground before putting it up, yeah?
Do I need to earth the mast at all?
So I SWR this in on the ground before putting it up, yeah?
Do I need to earth the mast at all?
It's not about luck, it's about skill.
- ellitanthalas
- Official CB Nut

- Posts: 58
- Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:01 pm
- Location: Reading, Berkshire
- Contact:
Cheers Stampy - You really are a CB god!! =D> 
It's not about luck, it's about skill.
-
joe jeep
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 110
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:22 pm
- CB Handle: Joe-Jeep
- Location: Littlehampton, West Sussex
How is the Thunderpole 5, I was thinking of getting one when I move house.
Cheers
Joseph
Cheers
Joseph
Handle:Joe-Jeep
Location: Littlehampton, West Sussex.
On either UK19 or if you cant find me there try UK26.
Location: Littlehampton, West Sussex.
On either UK19 or if you cant find me there try UK26.
- ellitanthalas
- Official CB Nut

- Posts: 58
- Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:01 pm
- Location: Reading, Berkshire
- Contact:
Will let ya know once I actually buy one
Been kinda busy buying stuff to make the rest of the house work, first.
Been kinda busy buying stuff to make the rest of the house work, first.
It's not about luck, it's about skill.
- police man
- Good Buddy

- Posts: 28
- Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:21 pm
- Location: wolverhampton
good luck with the new antenna .. ive had my a99 for over 12 years now and it still works well 

