York JCB 683
£6.50 but there is still a day to go £12 postage.
If it gets anywhere near £40, I'd leave it well alone, I got a brand new Midland 98+ still sealed up in its box for £43 at the start of the month.
Also be aware that if the rig has no power lead, or mic, then you'll have to add those to your budget.
Also be aware that if the rig has no power lead, or mic, then you'll have to add those to your budget.
I'm no expert, please take anything i say with a tablespoon of salt!
Just got myself a York JCB 683 off ebay for £31, would like to know if anyone has a copy of the user manual? 
Oh before I go just a quick question on the RX light on the front off the set. Is this ment to be on all the time unless you are transmitting? It does not seem to come on at all. The set is a bit scuffed and stuff but I expected that on a well used set. Apart from that I am well pleased with it. Get good reports from my siganl so all seems to be good.
- Basilsparents
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 225
- Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:37 pm
- Location: Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall
I expect the light has gone... mine has 
i have a york 681 and it works great...except after a wee while the signal meter drops back to zero when i key the mic. this will stay this way for anywhere from 5 to 55 mins!!boyscout wrote:Ok I have now installed the bulb into the york after a little bit of soldering. I have a problem though and I don't know if it started before or after I did the work on the rig. It happens sometimes when i turn the rig on and I have the RF gain and mic gain wide open. the S meter reading is on about just under 3 because of all the white noise, but as I key up the mic the S metter reading drops down to 0. If I play around with the mic gain knob the problem seems to stop and the reading go back to normal. Would like to know if this smacks of pending doom for my rig??? (I have a burner fitted and the needle only ever goes half way when I key up the mic. If I turn the burner off then the needle has full deflection.)
been told it is possibly a dry joint(?) having to use a different set till i can get it away to be looked at!




