Hello all!
Aimed at the Thunderpole employees this one, got my home 5/8 base antenna today (thanks for the slick delivery!!!).
I've noticed some marks on the pole in blue pen. Just wondering are these section overlap marks for the level to tighten the clips to? Also wondering if they are SWR markers which you may have put on???
Thanks,
Redneck
New Thunderpole 5/8 antenna
- wildfire
- Motor Mouth!

- Posts: 335
- Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:08 pm
- CB Handle: wildfire.
- Location: United Kindom.
SWR markers Redneck but I would still recommend checking the SWR meter afterwards & with the thunderpole 5/8 wave silver rod I would recommend putting 3 bamboo, garden canes into the Antenna to make it more secure so it doesn't lean & bend & break & will hold better against our bad weather & especially strong winds buddy that's what I've done for friends on the air waves who had silver rods & they was always happy to see there Antenna upright instead of looking like a banana or broken 
-
Redneck
- Good Buddy

- Posts: 17
- Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:01 pm
- CB Handle: Redneck
- Location: West Wales
Cheers Wildfire,
I'll check the SWR when I get it up and running. Looks like a trip to homebase for some bamboo and thanks for that advice as I live on top of a hill that's quite exposed.
In terms of planning permission my understanding is I'll need it and its generally not a hassle getting it granted. Luckily I'm on great terms with the neighbor's. Plan is to put it up, check it's all fine and then apply for planning to make sure I don't waste any money with the application!
Cheers,
Redneck.
I'll check the SWR when I get it up and running. Looks like a trip to homebase for some bamboo and thanks for that advice as I live on top of a hill that's quite exposed.
In terms of planning permission my understanding is I'll need it and its generally not a hassle getting it granted. Luckily I'm on great terms with the neighbor's. Plan is to put it up, check it's all fine and then apply for planning to make sure I don't waste any money with the application!
Cheers,
Redneck.
- wildfire
- Motor Mouth!

- Posts: 335
- Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:08 pm
- CB Handle: wildfire.
- Location: United Kindom.
No worries Redneck we're all here to help & advice each other buddy
I take it you'll be having the Antenna on a pole & that's the best way because the pole will take the strain away from the antenna as well & I nearly forgot to mention some water proof tape to rap around the connection parts, also there is a different in coax RG58 is ok but low loss coax works better for further contact as the RG58 will bring in about 4 to 5 pound of skip when you'll get no skip with low loss coax it can seem to be expensive setting up but well worth it in the end 
& with you been on a hill will help a great deal & will definitely help your signal to get out with a 5/8 wave on a hill I reckon your going to be getting a good range 20+ miles,
good to hear you have good understanding naighbours
but anyway buddy good luck with it all & all the best 
all I can think of when I think of Wales is hills lol.
& with you been on a hill will help a great deal & will definitely help your signal to get out with a 5/8 wave on a hill I reckon your going to be getting a good range 20+ miles,
good to hear you have good understanding naighbours
all I can think of when I think of Wales is hills lol.
- wildfire
- Motor Mouth!

- Posts: 335
- Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:08 pm
- CB Handle: wildfire.
- Location: United Kindom.
yep that tape should be good enough against the wind & rain matey & with it been a 5/8 wave they good Antennas & work well going to be intresting to hear how you get on keep us updated buddy & for the distance testing only time will tell. 
good luck buddy
good luck buddy
- wildfire
- Motor Mouth!

- Posts: 335
- Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:08 pm
- CB Handle: wildfire.
- Location: United Kindom.
yep these storms the last couple of weeks have really course trouble matey I just hope once you put it up you don't have anymore trouble with storms in the future as storms with there strong wing at about 70 mph is to much for any big home antenna ,
I've been around a long time definitely over 30 years with CB related stuff lol okay I started young but I think most of us did lol,
it also comes in handy with having a mobile Antenna on the pole as well for back up just in case your homebase breaks or becomes damaged & with you half way up a hill you would still get your signal out lol
but anyway buddy if you ever think about that idea just send us a pm matey 
I've been around a long time definitely over 30 years with CB related stuff lol okay I started young but I think most of us did lol,
it also comes in handy with having a mobile Antenna on the pole as well for back up just in case your homebase breaks or becomes damaged & with you half way up a hill you would still get your signal out lol
