I am hoping to win an Icom IC-R5, they seem good, their icom and they have a freq. range of 0.5 - 1300 mHz.
I want it to listen to civil and military aircraft and VHF ship and coastguard frequencies, so I think this should cover it.
Would, using an adapter, be able to plug it into a 9' cb aerial tank whip?????
Cheers
Joseph
Icom IC-R5
Tank whip is no good ,You need a dedicated multy band scanner Discone antenna . http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/homebasesc ... tennas.htm best mounted up high on your television antenna poll .
The V1300 covers 0 to 1300 mhz - http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/thunderpole-v1300.html
Thunderpoll Euro Stick is the cheapest - http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/euro_stick.htm
The V1300 covers 0 to 1300 mhz - http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/thunderpole-v1300.html
Thunderpoll Euro Stick is the cheapest - http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/euro_stick.htm
yes you could plug into a tank whip but it depends how close you are to an airport for best results if you want better coverage then antenna as high as you can is far better but you will have to try it first on the whip

if it anit broke dont fix it
-
joe jeep
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 110
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:22 pm
- CB Handle: Joe-Jeep
- Location: Littlehampton, West Sussex
I decided against the IC-R5 and I want to get it's predeccesor the IC-R2, It basically does the same job but a different button arangements and a few small gaps in inconspicous places of only 0.005mHz. So for a cheaper price for basically the same thing. I was thinking of getting the the Thunderpole Desktop, to stick on the garage door the same as my tank whip but at different times, oh and by the way my tank whip is performing pretty good for my location I got out 20 miles and was getting 9 on my signal meter when RX. The only question I have about the desktop is do the radials and discone aerials fold or detatch?? Might message Andy, He'll know.!
Cheers
Joseph
Cheers
Joseph
Handle:Joe-Jeep
Location: Littlehampton, West Sussex.
On either UK19 or if you cant find me there try UK26.
Location: Littlehampton, West Sussex.
On either UK19 or if you cant find me there try UK26.
-
airfixpilot01
- New to the Scene

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 7:06 pm
Hi Joe jeep.
Yes the Icom range of scanners are good. The R2 has no alpha taging, but the others R5 & R6 have.
I do like icom scanners and put them higher than the Uniden ubc125 xlt, in receiving signals. You do need to get a book on scanning or if you are into airband a book called UKAFG (United Kingdom Airband frequency guide), which gives you military and civil airband frequencies. With this book you get updated frequencies for £5 online when or if you join a listing.
If you are into Airband there is forums, which you can join. Fighter Control & Civil aviation forum.
If you need help give me shout.
Airfixpilot01
Yes the Icom range of scanners are good. The R2 has no alpha taging, but the others R5 & R6 have.
I do like icom scanners and put them higher than the Uniden ubc125 xlt, in receiving signals. You do need to get a book on scanning or if you are into airband a book called UKAFG (United Kingdom Airband frequency guide), which gives you military and civil airband frequencies. With this book you get updated frequencies for £5 online when or if you join a listing.
If you are into Airband there is forums, which you can join. Fighter Control & Civil aviation forum.
If you need help give me shout.
Airfixpilot01


