cb is a waste of time now

General Chat - one nine for a roger!
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

oh sorry the set is 22 years old thought you ment cb ooops must read better




:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
if it anit broke dont fix it
gaspipe58
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:53 pm
Location: South Devon

Actually your first reply sorta made sense. As I've said on another thread it got abused rather badly when I first had it and I now feel sorry for the poor thing.

Yes I would consider a new rig if I knew there was something happening out there. No point in forking out good money to listen to static. I'm trying to get others interested. At the moment it looks like we could have our own private comms system :D I've always thought CB was a good idea - it just needs a rebirth.

Tim
User avatar
Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: Nairnshire, Scotland.

Hello there!

I used to be very much into CB when I was growing up, back then it was buzzing! I'm up in the north of Scotland, and where I am, socially,
it is pretty much dead.

That said, it means there are a lot less 'muppets' on air now! I use CB as a tool when travelling the highlands (no phone signal coverage) between a camper and a car. I think in the 5 years or so since I've got back into CB, I can count the conversations I've had with other users on one hand!

My wife and I spent 6 months touring around the UK, and noticed that CB is still busy in the midlands and Wales, but up in Scotland, you're talking to yourself!!!
Call sign: 2H2SQ
Handle: 'Turtle'
Home is where you park it!...
gaspipe58
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:53 pm
Location: South Devon

Yep. that's the message I'm getting CB is alive and well living in the midlands and Wales. I think there might be a bit in Cornwall but South Devon seems very dead. Must try to liven it up with some fresh blood.

Tim
ANDRIA
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:59 am

CB WASNT A WASTE OF TIME IN MY DAY,WE HAD GREAT FUN, PLAYING FOX AN HOUND,MEETIN UP WITH EACH OTHER AND GENERALLY HAVING A GOOD LAUGH, THERE ISNT ANY REASON TO WHY IT CANT BE LIKE THAT AGAIN.
BACK THEN ALOT OF BREAKERS WENT DOWN BECAUSE OF RUDENESS AND LANGUAGE BEING BROADCAST BY OTHER MAINLY YOUNG USERS WHO HAD NO APPRECIATION FOR OTHERS WHO ENJOYD THE HOBBY,CAUSING OTHER USERS TO LOOSE INTEREST AS WELL :( .



ANDRIA
gaspipe58
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:53 pm
Location: South Devon

I like your attitude. May be there is hope. Let's all be possitive and see what happens.

Tim
PS No need to SHOUT :D
User avatar
EarthWormJim
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire

ANDRIA wrote:CB WASNT A WASTE OF TIME IN MY DAY,WE HAD GREAT FUN, PLAYING FOX AN HOUND,MEETIN UP WITH EACH OTHER AND GENERALLY HAVING A GOOD LAUGH, THERE ISNT ANY REASON TO WHY IT CANT BE LIKE THAT AGAIN.
BACK THEN ALOT OF BREAKERS WENT DOWN BECAUSE OF RUDENESS AND LANGUAGE BEING BROADCAST BY OTHER MAINLY YOUNG USERS WHO HAD NO APPRECIATION FOR OTHERS WHO ENJOYD THE HOBBY,CAUSING OTHER USERS TO LOOSE INTEREST AS WELL :( .



ANDRIA
I totally agree well said :D
Jim,

CB'ers do it till it Hertz...Side Banders do it till it MegaHertz

2H4OW
M3OJP
Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:10 pm
CB Handle: Guzzy
Location: England

THERE ISNT ANY REASON TO WHY IT CANT BE LIKE THAT AGAIN.
Wishful thinking only, I fear. :-(

Nowadays, people are even less likely to want to randomly meet up with complete strangers at 'eyeballs', and you can only listen to the breaking channel for so long before turning it off with bad language overload.

I guess each area has it's own characteristic, but in and around the London/Medway Towns we get a lot of people just sitting on the mobile breaking channel and chatting (thereby denying the calling channel to everyone else! :evil: ) or people swearing at each other BECAUSE they are sitting on the breaking channel jabbering away.

Why do people feel the need to occupy the calling channel with their conversations?

Is it that they feel like it's not being used and that they are duty bound to say something on it so we don't think it's dead?

CB radio can carry on with small, closed groups hiding away from the breaking channel (and the new CB radios that will be coming out with CTCSS will help with this) but that isn't what CB radio was supposed to be about.

Shame really. :-(
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

you could always try joining in on the channel if the conversation is something you are intrrested in



:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it
Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:10 pm
CB Handle: Guzzy
Location: England

stampman wrote:you could always try joining in on the channel if the conversation is something you are intrrested in
What, on the breaking channel? :roll:
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

yup then suggest moving but you have got to hve the gift of the gab

make them think its thier idea





:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it
insigma
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:54 pm

Granted there are not as many people on as there used to be, and yes it does suck at times.

But i still use it to keep in contact with a few freinds theres only about ten stations in Hastings.. but its better than nothing.
Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:10 pm
CB Handle: Guzzy
Location: England

If you can create a small (or even a bloody great big! :D ) group of regular users, you can have a really good local network going. All it takes is for a few mates to start using it regularly and before you know it, others want to join in.

Jon
insigma
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:54 pm

2H2UZ wrote:If you can create a small (or even a bloody great big! :D ) group of regular users, you can have a really good local network going. All it takes is for a few mates to start using it regularly and before you know it, others want to join in.

Jon
that is about right we started with 4 of us and in the last few months its gone upto ten , we are hoping more people will see the aerials going up and hopefully come back on
Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:10 pm
CB Handle: Guzzy
Location: England

It's possible, but it can be an uphill struggle unless you can organise stuff that involves CB nicely.

Jon
Post Reply