Hello all and what works now?

A place for new members to say hello
Post Reply
DJGee
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:51 pm

Hi everyone. My name is Gavin. I used to have a Harrier CB-X and a nice, high up Sigma 2 (or thats what I believe it was!)
Any ways, my son has been using some old walky talkies and of course, I told him about the good old CB days. So now he wants a set up!
I've got an old rig and power pack and there was some kind of CB aerial in the loft when we moved in so will get that sorted. My question is - what works and what doesn't now? I mean, I know nothing of this "new" frequency, does the old 27-81 still work well, are there lots of people back on - I hear it's making a bit of a come back. What base aerial should I be using - I'd like another 7/8 wave if pos - I could go on. What I mean is, I don't want to waste money on the wrong stuff so it sit's in the lot.
Any advice would be greatfully received.
Many thanks,
Gavin (or String Bean as I was called!)
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

this new freq is still the old one and the old gear still operates just as good if not better than the new


oh anfd welcome to theforum


:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it
fatfinger
Official CB Legend!!!
Official CB Legend!!!
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:47 pm
Contact:

use your old stuff to test the water and see if there is anyone on local to you..........some places are very alive but some areas are dead
that way you will not waste money
you can always buy a better set up if you get back into it

and welcome to the forum 73's





:-Wave :-Wave :-Wave :-Wave :-Wave
Last edited by fatfinger on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJGee
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:51 pm

Thanks guys - I'll try out the old stuff. I'm just a bit worried about not picking anyone up because the aerial is not up to much. Can you tell me if there are now 2 lots of FM frequency - The old 27-81 and a new European one? Do new rigs have both on? and what about the 7/8 wave aerial I mentione - can you still get them?
Cheers.
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

think the sirio 1600 is 7/8 wave and not menay use the europian band



:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it
Lamby
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:12 pm

hi from me
User avatar
EarthWormJim
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire

Hi from me :-Wave 27/81 is still used the eu band only gets used round here if someone is playin music and following us round the 27/81 we go onto eu. If there is a lift (skip) then eu sometimes comes alive
Jim,

CB'ers do it till it Hertz...Side Banders do it till it MegaHertz

2H4OW
M3OJP
unclejessie123
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:18 pm

hi, just to let you know that there are others around just like you, i am still in the process of setting up, once done i too will find out if anyone is out there!!
unclejessie123
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:18 pm

hi string bean, uncle jessie here just to let you know that i have enough of that coax if you need it just get in touch on 19 daytimes/sat pm and you can pop round, speak soon...
hotmetal1000
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:00 am
Location: Queensland, Australia

7/8 wave?????? or do you mean 5/8 wave?
5/8th wave antennas are still made, couple of differant models too.
Post Reply