Help Choosing First CB

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Post Reply
JamieSMcC
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi people.

Looking to purchase my first ever CB! I am a complete beginner, and all I know is you need a CB and an antenna :lol: :| It's so I can talk to mates when we are driving about and going long distance drives.

So got a few questions to ask concerning a CB radio.

1) Was looking at a Midland 38 is this a good one or is there another one you could recommend?

2) As it is for the car, and at any given point we won't be more than 5 miles away, and cause it is on the car, I'm looking for a shortish antenna, don't want a big pole hanging off the back of my car! Was looking at the Thunderpole Saturn? as its only 66cm?

3) How easy is it to wire the antenna, bear in mind I am 17, and have hardly any tools for cutting cable, I build computers...Screwdriver is the most I need and use :| (And a Hammer, but its not really effective)

4) How do you power the thing in the car? Do you get a Cigarette Lighter thing? I take it the CB has a +ve and -ve wire from the back of it?

5) I have browsed the forums and you talk about levels of SWR? What is it and do I need to worry about the level?

:oops: You've probably heard all this a thousand times, So I do apologise, and all help and advice is greatly appreciated :D :D

Cheers,

Jamie
User avatar
Apbuild
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:18 pm
Location: Oxfordshire

Midland 38 will be OK.

You will need the antenna and decide on the type of mount you want. Magnetic mounts mean you do not need to drill the bodywork to fit the antenna.

You will also need a length of coax, fitted with the correct plugs either end.

Fitting is easy so long as you plan ahead and decide where to mount the rig/aerial first.

If in any doubt, contact our sponsors to make sure you get the right gear.

Rob.
You got Eclipse coming at you!!!!!
I'd rather be mud pluggin, fishin', or shootin! (Or on my CB Radio)!
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

yes 38 is a decent rig

antenna get the most expensive one you can afford or go for a wilson little will theses are mag mounted and already wired use a cig lighter for the power and defenately set the swr or it can blow the final transistors

easy to do with a meter just chop about 1/4" off the top a time and uou will get thnere


:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it
JamieSMcC
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:29 pm

Thanks,

So If I get the Midland 38, and a Wilson Little Wil I don't need to worry about cabling that, just need to worry about powering the CB.

Will I get one of the Cigar adaptors from the Road King site and just solder it to the CB power wires?

And I have no understanding of SWR? Will I also need to get the SWR reader and patch lead and simply cut the antenna until the reading is good?

Sorry for the newbie-ness :oops:

But thanks for the replies :D :D

Jamie
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

simple answer is yes to all your questions


:D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it
extremedave
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:37 pm

This handy link explains SWR :D http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/4x4_what_is_swr.htm supplied by the lovely people from thunderpole
Post Reply