Need help: Most powerful CB for use outside EU?

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Post Reply
Falcon
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi there, first time poster...hope you can help.

I would like to buy a CB for the first time, but need a little advice on which unit to get. I will be moving from the UK to the Czech Rep soon, I will also be spending some time in the Eastern Baltic States and Russia. I need a radio that can be used in the UK legally (before I go in Dec) but one that can be modified to increase RF output when I am no longer in the UK where laws permit.

I was looking at the Intek range, the export models M795 and M495 since I see that they can run at around 20W. Are one of these a good option? Could I buy an export version whilst being in the UK, or should I just modify a new UK version for increased bands and power output myself?

If anyone could recommend any other CB radio to me that has a high maximum power output I’d be happy to buy that. Lastly (sorry about all the questions!), would it be possible to fit a switch or dial to a newly bought model that could be used to increase the power output from 4W up to the max RF output of the unit depending on my location and permitted max RF power output? Or is there a unit which already has this function built in?

Thank you for any help you can give, and I look forward to joining the CB community..
.and getting some new kit :o)

Rod
jason
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: peterborough uk

czech republic?,, i am going to retire there too in a few years,, great place 8)

ahoy ,jak se mas?

anyway i am sure the sponsors will be able to advise on this ,
the DJ (discjokey)
if i can help ,i will.
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

check with our sponsers as i think they have a set that will sute you down to the ground ask for colin when you ring



:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it
simonthewizard
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:55 am

Lived in the Czech Republic from 1992-1999 and then 2001-2005 sure is a nice place, sadly with the EU and integration the cheaper times are gone. Infact now radios are more money than they are in the west as the KC is strong. And remember, CZ now in the EU and the current fine is 45000kc for illegal use of radio, whether it be CB or Amateur Radio

Be careful also now in CZ as there is more effort and indeed more money with the Czech telekom to find illegal operators.

Some of the places that can supply equipment. I operated there many years and never had any troubles. The key is the locals, they are suspicious of new voices on the air and indeed i was once visited as they reported me for being a spy. Be careful, be smart and there will be no troubles there.

I am there every 4 weeks and there is not so many voices on at the moment because there is a sweep at the moment and the men in the vans are on the streets

Average age of 11m men and or CB'ers are around 40-80 years old as was once carried out in a survey. The most popular things are PMR DX'ing and also the Ceske CB DX. There is a whole new world of radio there waiting for you, the biggest amateur radio show is in HOLICE and is held every year. There are not many that speak English, and indeed most on 11m are retired and find it suspicious for those speaking English. It's a small community and it takes time till they trust you.

I was there also in the times of communism, we made 179AT0 and DX and were followed by the ladas with beschpostnost on the sides. Orange and white security for the state, so dumped a jackson and antenna in the woods near Brno.

GOOD DX spots are in the north and the south, Jested in the north and Pancir in the south, near Zelena Ruda

Anything else, just ask :D
Post Reply