little wilson vs centre load trucker 80

General Mobile CB antenna advice and troubleshooting
lone-ranger
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 11:11 pm
Location: South London

hi there i want to get a small antenna as i don't want a huge orbiter or something like that on my van i own a normal trucker 80 and a super nova iv found the super nova pretty good but was wondering if any of these 2 are better so which one little Wilson or trucker 80 center loaded or do i just stick to what i have many thanks Ryan south London
User avatar
wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:08 pm
CB Handle: wildfire.
Location: United Kindom.

hello lone ranger nice to meet you buddy,

i would first like to ask you what kind of van are you driveing is your van like a ford transit or a 71/2 tonne van if your driveing a ford transit then the trucker 80 centre loaded will be ok on a ford transit van or if your driveing a 71/2 tonne van then your better of sticking with your normal trucker 80.
lone-ranger
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 11:11 pm
Location: South London

hi there wild fire i drive a small van a citron berlingo witch is why i want to get the best small antenna i can gen get i have put an orbiter on there and it looked like a remote control car iv been reading other peoples threads and every one keeps banging on about how good these Wilson antennas are but on the other hand i was reading that the center loaded trucker 80 was better then the normal trucker 80 which i have and which is a cheaper option so i just want to no if i spend the money on one of these other antennas will i benifit that much from doing so i mean i have quite allot of antennas but just dont use them as they look ridiculous i have

3 foot fire stick fire fly
4 foot fire stick fire fly
thunderpole supernova
thunderpole orbiter
thunderpole trucker 80

many thanks for your reply Ryan
User avatar
wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:08 pm
CB Handle: wildfire.
Location: United Kindom.

hello again lone ranger,

yeah the full size wilson antenas work very good as a lot of people say but never touched one myself but there is always a but i know the small version of the wilson dont work as good as the full size vesions do but the the trucker 80 centre loaded will work perfect for you buddy, and your very welcomed for the heads up :wink:
lone-ranger
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 11:11 pm
Location: South London

thanks alot for your help i think im gonna go for that than many thanks Ryan (lone ranger) south london
User avatar
wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:08 pm
CB Handle: wildfire.
Location: United Kindom.

no problem ryan your very welcomed for the help mate as soon as you start useing your new antena let us know how good it is for you mate i am shure it is not going to let you down.
User avatar
jdo330
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:59 pm
Location: Hertfordshire (but I get about a bit!)

Hi LoneRanger,

I have the Little Wil on my car and its absolutely brilliant for the size. Agreed not as good at the 1000 or 5000 but I would put money on it out performing the Trucker 80 in any format. I chose it for the same reasons, I wanted something a bit less obvious. I also run it through a little red box which helps me get out a bit better. The Wil also appears to have very good ears, better that my Sirio ML145 even!

There is another menber on the forum (Rob) who uses the Wil and if my memory serves me correctly he gets excellent results too.

All personal choice at the end of the day.

ATB, Jon.
lone-ranger
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 11:11 pm
Location: South London

thanks alot for your opinion jon can you unscrew the lil wilson from its mag mount that it comes with and screw it in to your own mount as i have my antenna fixed to a mount on the roof rack of my van.

thanks for the reply Ryan
User avatar
wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:08 pm
CB Handle: wildfire.
Location: United Kindom.

jdo330 wrote:Hi LoneRanger,

I have the Little Wil on my car and its absolutely brilliant for the size. Agreed not as good at the 1000 or 5000 but I would put money on it out performing the Trucker 80 in any format. I chose it for the same reasons, I wanted something a bit less obvious. I also run it through a little red box which helps me get out a bit better. The Wil also appears to have very good ears, better that my Sirio ML145 even!

There is another menber on the forum (Rob) who uses the Wil and if my memory serves me correctly he gets excellent results too.

All personal choice at the end of the day.

ATB, Jon.
may i just ask a question here if your little wilson is as good as you say then why use a burner for extra power i am useing a full size orbitor and i am in doors and already have reached a disstance off 9 miles and i dont need any help with getting out jon,

no lone ranger it is a fixed mag mount mate i think the only thing you can do is try the small wilson with people praiseing the wilson that much it must be good.

if we don`t succed with a antena keep trying with others.
User avatar
Apbuild
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:18 pm
Location: Oxfordshire

Little Wil on my works van and it performs great!

Highly recommended.

Rob.
You got Eclipse coming at you!!!!!
I'd rather be mud pluggin, fishin', or shootin! (Or on my CB Radio)!
User avatar
jdo330
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:59 pm
Location: Hertfordshire (but I get about a bit!)

wildfire wrote:
jdo330 wrote:Hi LoneRanger,

I have the Little Wil on my car and its absolutely brilliant for the size. Agreed not as good at the 1000 or 5000 but I would put money on it out performing the Trucker 80 in any format. I chose it for the same reasons, I wanted something a bit less obvious. I also run it through a little red box which helps me get out a bit better. The Wil also appears to have very good ears, better that my Sirio ML145 even!

There is another menber on the forum (Rob) who uses the Wil and if my memory serves me correctly he gets excellent results too.

All personal choice at the end of the day.

ATB, Jon.
may i just ask a question here if your little wilson is as good as you say then why use a burner for extra power i am useing a full size orbitor and i am in doors and already have reached a disstance off 9 miles and i dont need any help with getting out jon,

no lone ranger it is a fixed mag mount mate i think the only thing you can do is try the small wilson with people praiseing the wilson that much it must be good.

if we don`t succed with a antena keep trying with others.
I use the linear just to help that little bit more, just like users of Wilson 1000's, Sirio's 4000 and even home base occasionally. I have it lying around so why not use it??

ATB, Jon.
User avatar
wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:08 pm
CB Handle: wildfire.
Location: United Kindom.

Just to be clear, you aren't going to be doing any long distance DXing by putting 100W FM into your antenna, you will just be a very strong local FM station and get out a bit further,

Running 100W SSB is a slightly different matter, but will still only help when the conditions are right,

Power is not the answer, a better transmitting location (hence the reason people "take to the hills" for weekends) and a better antenna (beam if possible) is your first choices.

Pre amps cause their own set of problems (they don't just increase the signals you want to hear...) and are useful in certain situations only,

I'm not saying don't consider using an amplifier (even if it is illegal), just consider all the other options first,

but the use of linears just cause trouble with tvi and other radio users also can course problems to your rig later on in the years,

the only answer is buy a radio with varible power the difference between a linear and a rig with varible power is you can control how much power you want to put out.
User avatar
wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:08 pm
CB Handle: wildfire.
Location: United Kindom.

hi lone ranger,

i also have found a comment on this forum about the small wilson and here is what they have said about the small wilson antenna,

by Photoguy2910 on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:54 pm

I have one of the smaller Wilsons and it just seems to suck in signals... might even go for a 1000 when my tax rebate comes through.
Photoguy2910
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:29 am
Location: Rosyth,Fife

I did like my little Wil, only problem I had was I couldn't get it to SWR below 2 but it did pull in and get signals out there. The tax rebate did come through and I did get the big bro, a Wilson 1000, looks massive on the car but it really does work well.
108TM999
User avatar
jdo330
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:59 pm
Location: Hertfordshire (but I get about a bit!)

Photoguy2910 wrote:I did like my little Wil, only problem I had was I couldn't get it to SWR below 2 but it did pull in and get signals out there. The tax rebate did come through and I did get the big bro, a Wilson 1000, looks massive on the car but it really does work well.
Interesting... Ive managed to get a virtually 0 SWR (the needle just flickers a tad) on UK 20 (1.2 on UK ch1 & 1.3 on UK ch40). :D I have to say with it so good on the muppets the SWR isnt very good on the mids though but I just put this down to small antenna's. I wish I could get my Trucker 80 to read so low on the UK40, would be well chuffed. Best I can get with this is 1.5 on UK40 ch20 :(

ATB, Jon.
Post Reply