Weather caps for 3/8 antenna mounts, are they available?

General Mobile CB antenna advice and troubleshooting
Post Reply
User avatar
Eviltwin
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:41 pm
Location: Inbred, Suffolk

Just curious if there are 3/8 blanking plugs available for keeping moisture out of the antenna hole when nothings fitted, for example when the antennas removed for going through a car wash etc.
I'm no expert, please take anything i say with a tablespoon of salt!
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

not for the 3/8 does not realy matter as it is a blind hole

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
Eviltwin
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:41 pm
Location: Inbred, Suffolk

Fair enough.
I'm no expert, please take anything i say with a tablespoon of salt!
snowman
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:47 pm
Location: barrow suffolk

is there not a chance that if you screw a antenna in with it water filled and as you cant compress water it causing a hydraulic affect and going tight before it is home? would this not affect the swr?
freebanders do it anywhere :)
User avatar
Eviltwin
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:41 pm
Location: Inbred, Suffolk

that was what I was thinking
I'm no expert, please take anything i say with a tablespoon of salt!
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

not realy its not deep enough


*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
Bionic Budgie
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:13 pm
CB Handle: Bionic Budgie
Location: Diss, Norfolk

Me Again...

I have some plastic caps that come on hydraulic fittings to protect the thread. They come in various sizes. I used one to cap a Sirio 3/8unf stud I used a while back, they fit fine. Free to you my friend..how many do ya want?

Budgie
My Only Worry Is That When I Die..My Wife Will Sell My Radio Gear For What I Told Her I'd Paid For It!
User avatar
Eviltwin
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:41 pm
Location: Inbred, Suffolk

Just a couple to cap off a normal 3/8 mount, if you PM me your address I'll mail you a couple of stamps
I'm no expert, please take anything i say with a tablespoon of salt!
User avatar
Bionic Budgie
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:13 pm
CB Handle: Bionic Budgie
Location: Diss, Norfolk

No worries.

Do you want a plug or cap? What diameter do you require?. I ask this because there are lots of different types. I can deliver if you want as I regularly work at RAF Wattisham. If you want to keep your location a secret (I understand if you do). I can leave them someplace.

Budgie
My Only Worry Is That When I Die..My Wife Will Sell My Radio Gear For What I Told Her I'd Paid For It!
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

it will be a plug std thread

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
Eviltwin
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:41 pm
Location: Inbred, Suffolk

Something to plug a 3/8 threaded hole
I'm no expert, please take anything i say with a tablespoon of salt!
User avatar
porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 8:11 pm
Location: wolverhampton, uk

good idea chaps
joe jeep
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:22 pm
CB Handle: Joe-Jeep
Location: Littlehampton, West Sussex

My 3/8 fitting has rusted up inside, it is probably as old as me!! So it has done quite well.
Handle:Joe-Jeep
Location: Littlehampton, West Sussex.
On either UK19 or if you cant find me there try UK26.
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

chrome coated should not have rusted


*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
Post Reply