today I tested the Sirio PL 5000 and the Sirio 145 ML for swr values, and I came to some results that I want to share with you.
the setup is:
roof mount, SO239 fitting / chassis grounded
5.5 meters of Ecoflex low loss 50 ohm coax
Avanti Kappa II unit
car: Honda Civic hatchback MY 2004
first I measured the SWR at the radio side and the results where:
with the Sirio Performer PL 5000 the SWR was 1.1 all the way and all the power (with this rig you can select the output power from 4 to 60 W).
with the Sirio 145 ML the result where arround 1.3 @ all chanells and 1.5 @ arround 50W.
so, we all know that this medot of measuring the SWR is wrong and to obtain the real SWR values we need to measure at the antenna side. I wonder why the internet is full results obtained with the above metod.
....so I conected the swr meter at the antenna side and surprise....
on the ML 145 the SWR values where 1.1 on CH1 and 1 on CH40 at 50W
(previous , on the radio side the value where 1.3 - 1.5 across the band)
on the PL 5000 the values where 1.8 on CH 40 and 1.5 on CH 1
(previous, on the radio side the value was arround 1.1 across the band)
it's obvious that the values are so much different. in the first measuring metod the coax lenght was acting like a 50 ohm dummy load (please correct me if i'm wrong) with 1.1 swr on the PL 5000....
I had to cut arround 20 mm from the whip to bring the swr arround 1.5 with the PL 5000, but I can't obtain values under this number.
the radio and the setup works fine, but I want to share this results and perhaps have some opinions on this
many thanks




