Hello all, I'm new to this forum and new to scanners.
I'm after a scanner, to listen to the ATC talking to aircraft and so on, as I have an interest in aircraft and also it would help as I photograhph aircraft also.
So what should I be looking for in a scanner? To listen to different bases, what do I need? How far in distance can I listen in on? Say, if an airbase was 40 miles away, could I listen to it from home to get an idea of traffic? What do I need?
Cheers guys ;)
Which scanner
just about any scanner will recive air band just remember that the signal is line of site and you need a homebase antenna as high as you can get it the planes will be no problem but the airport may be all you can do is try it get a freqency book from colin at this site and it will give you a strart

if it anit broke dont fix it
- Photographer
- Official CB Nut

- Posts: 76
- Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:51 pm
- CB Handle: Terminator / 26TM233
- Location: Northampton, UK
- Contact:
I use an AOR8200 handheld scanner (before that a Yupiteru 7200) for listening to aircraft. You can hear the aircraft from hundreds of miles away and the towers from at least 50 ish. I use a magmount on my car with a dualband whip which boosts this range. Ideally, go for a scanner that covers 0 to 1000MHz with no gaps because once you get one, you'll want to listen to other stuff too and this will cover you for everything then. You should be able to get one with 1000 memories for about £100 notes nowadays. Let me know if you want any more advice.......
http://www.stphotography.org
In Northampton, next to the finest CB Radio Shop in the UK..!!
M3 FLP - 26 TM 233 - Photographer
In Northampton, next to the finest CB Radio Shop in the UK..!!
M3 FLP - 26 TM 233 - Photographer


