Has anyone had any experience of the Uniden TYT TH-8600?
I am looking for a waterproof compact CB to mount on a quad; does anyone have any suggestions?
Cheers
Waterproof CB radio
-
Globetrotter5
- New to the Scene

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 7:12 pm
Great suggestion but not suitable for what I need - thanks 
-
Globetrotter5
- New to the Scene

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 7:12 pm
Thanks, but it's definitely a waterproof CB radio I'm after
-
Globetrotter5
- New to the Scene

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 7:12 pm
Looking for a rain proof CB Radio to fit on a farm quad
I'm fairly sure (I hope others will confirm) there was a '80s era radio designed for boat use. That would almost certainly have had some moisture proofing but as to make/model, well that escapes me. For something more modern you would be looking for a radio with an 'IP' rating eg 'IP64'. These ratings would give you an idea of how resistant a product is to water/moisture/dust ingress. If you're really bored you can google IP ratings but it's not gripping stuff!
I had a quick glance at the manual for my Midland 42, and there's no suggestion that it maybe rainproof.
What would your intended use be? Static or mobile? What sort of range would you be looking for?
I had a quick glance at the manual for my Midland 42, and there's no suggestion that it maybe rainproof.
What would your intended use be? Static or mobile? What sort of range would you be looking for?
One person in ten understands binary. The other one doesn't. 
-
Globetrotter5
- New to the Scene

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 7:12 pm
I too have Googled IP ratings and was unable to find a CB Radio with IP64 rating.
I noted on eBay that there was a Uniden TYT TH-8600, an ideal compact unit that had the appropriate rating (which is still available) but I'm not sure whether this was a CB Radio or bordering on the HAM frequencies. I contacted a seller as to whether it was compatible with UK CB frequencies but they never replied.
Basically I want to set up a comms system between a tractor, two quads, and two barns. We have hand helds but that communication is reliant on charged batteries, switching them on and more importantly remembering to take them with you
Range would not really be more than 3-5kms at most.
I have contacted dealers but none seem to be that interested and I'm wondering if the advent of smart phones has killed the enthusiasm for CB Radios as a form of comms.
Cheers for taking the time to respond
I noted on eBay that there was a Uniden TYT TH-8600, an ideal compact unit that had the appropriate rating (which is still available) but I'm not sure whether this was a CB Radio or bordering on the HAM frequencies. I contacted a seller as to whether it was compatible with UK CB frequencies but they never replied.
Basically I want to set up a comms system between a tractor, two quads, and two barns. We have hand helds but that communication is reliant on charged batteries, switching them on and more importantly remembering to take them with you
Range would not really be more than 3-5kms at most.
I have contacted dealers but none seem to be that interested and I'm wondering if the advent of smart phones has killed the enthusiasm for CB Radios as a form of comms.
Cheers for taking the time to respond
Ok, the tractor is a fairly straight forward mobile type install assuming it's a full cab and not just a ROPS frame.
The barns. Each would ideally want a small home base type rig. You could instead use a mobile with a power pack. either way you might want to be able to cover it with an upturned bucket when not in use to keep dust, straw and other fire causing detritus out of it when not in use. If it's a steel framed construction you could fit a mobile antenna - via a stud or mag mount - then swr as you would a mobile. Alternatively you could put up an Antron or similar. If you're going above roof height think about fitting a lightning arrestor, a straw filled barn can be one hell of a barbeque.
Now for the quad. The antenna, keep it low. A long Stinger type looks fun but believe me, if you catch it on a low branch it will whip back at you and seriously live up to it's name! Hence why I use a baby firestick with a breakaway spring on a bar mount on the rear rack - if the branch goes over you head, it won't catch the antenna. For the user interface, the rig on the bars with a standard mic is a nonstarter as the machine is generally to noisy to hear or be heard. My set up is only usable when parked. If you want it to work on the move, there are mic/speaker headsets available designed to fit in a motorcycle helmet (which, naturally as a responsible rider, you always wear
) with along curly lead but usually with the wrong plug for what we want. And we're back to the radio. How about a small motorbike type top box (or an old lidded army ammo box if you want to look like you mean business) fit the radio in there, run the cables out through a small hole in the base and you're there. It'll be clean, dry and you have somewhere to keep your sarnies! The guys at Thunderpole should be able to advise or supply a suitable headset and wire it up to suit the chosen radio.
It all depends on how good are you at electrical fabrication. These things are not insurmountable, it might just take time to work it out.
The barns. Each would ideally want a small home base type rig. You could instead use a mobile with a power pack. either way you might want to be able to cover it with an upturned bucket when not in use to keep dust, straw and other fire causing detritus out of it when not in use. If it's a steel framed construction you could fit a mobile antenna - via a stud or mag mount - then swr as you would a mobile. Alternatively you could put up an Antron or similar. If you're going above roof height think about fitting a lightning arrestor, a straw filled barn can be one hell of a barbeque.
Now for the quad. The antenna, keep it low. A long Stinger type looks fun but believe me, if you catch it on a low branch it will whip back at you and seriously live up to it's name! Hence why I use a baby firestick with a breakaway spring on a bar mount on the rear rack - if the branch goes over you head, it won't catch the antenna. For the user interface, the rig on the bars with a standard mic is a nonstarter as the machine is generally to noisy to hear or be heard. My set up is only usable when parked. If you want it to work on the move, there are mic/speaker headsets available designed to fit in a motorcycle helmet (which, naturally as a responsible rider, you always wear
It all depends on how good are you at electrical fabrication. These things are not insurmountable, it might just take time to work it out.
One person in ten understands binary. The other one doesn't. 
-
Globetrotter5
- New to the Scene

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 7:12 pm
Thanks for your very comprehensive responsive, impressed with your knowledge of ROPS and advice ref dust etc. On the radio (I had not considered that - good shout).
This is the specs of the Uniden:
The TYT TH-8600 is IP67 waterproof 25W VHF UHF 136-174MHz/400-480MHz Dual band, dual standy, dual dispaly, LCD color display mobile radio.It is the solid choice for outdoor enthusiasts and motorcycle enthusiasts.
Would I be right in thinking this does not cover the UK CB frequencies?
This is the specs of the Uniden:
The TYT TH-8600 is IP67 waterproof 25W VHF UHF 136-174MHz/400-480MHz Dual band, dual standy, dual dispaly, LCD color display mobile radio.It is the solid choice for outdoor enthusiasts and motorcycle enthusiasts.
Would I be right in thinking this does not cover the UK CB frequencies?
No problem, welcome to my weird world of maintenance electronics by day, and cb and vintage tractors when no-one's looking! (Current victim is a '57 Major)
Anyhow I digress...
CB is 26-28mHz frequency at 4W power, no licence required. The spec you have there sounds ideal but wouldn't be compatible if you already have cb in other places. If you were doing a clean install in all five locations using the same spec system it would work but you would need specialist advice (thunderpole) for the correct antennas and current licencing requirements. At that point I'm out of my depth.
Interested to know how you get on.
Rob.
Anyhow I digress...
CB is 26-28mHz frequency at 4W power, no licence required. The spec you have there sounds ideal but wouldn't be compatible if you already have cb in other places. If you were doing a clean install in all five locations using the same spec system it would work but you would need specialist advice (thunderpole) for the correct antennas and current licencing requirements. At that point I'm out of my depth.
Interested to know how you get on.
Rob.
One person in ten understands binary. The other one doesn't. 
-
Globetrotter5
- New to the Scene

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 7:12 pm
Thunderpole don't sell waterproof CBs and the Uniden would require an amateur license 



