Thunderpole Orbitor HD

General Mobile CB antenna advice and troubleshooting
Post Reply
User avatar
DarkBull515
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:44 pm
CB Handle: DarkBull515

Hi, I am a returning CB'er and I have put together a rig consisting of a old Midland 38 transceiver and a Thunderpole Orbitor HD with a 7" mag base. I'm getting strong TX but a single bar RX, so no return signal, what am I doing wrong please? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
User avatar
Hair Bear
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:04 pm

Hi,
First things first, have you checked the SWR?
If I understand your fault description, you say your rig meter is high on tx and low on receive - I would start with SWR as some rigs will show an SWR fault as a very high TX reading.
What is the mag stuck to - car? truck? boat? biscuit tin???!!!
Check continuity in the coax. Is there a circuit between the pl core and the whip? Even a new mount could have a dry joint.
Do you have someone local you can check your rx/tx with?
If the SWR is good, and you can confirm good distance TX but limited RX it maybe time to get the rig checked out.
What is your locality? Someone local on here may be able to help.
Rob.
One person in ten understands binary. The other one doesn't. :wink:
cookoff013
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:20 pm

Get a swr meter and really learn how to use it.

I bought an orbiter, had a good session of testing. I mag mounted it indoors and put it on a radiator. A big session of testing and moving it around did it good. Had great contacts. But my cept /EU 1-40 was high.
I ordered an elbow joint and a quick detach link. It took little movement. Then went and moved it. It then was cept 1-40 = swr 2.1 to 2. The uk 40fm went from 1.5 throughout to 1=1.5
20= 1.4
40 =1.3

What a result.

You never know, until you know.
Ps, thanks to andy here. And a friend who helped. Im way more confident with it and i got my antenna to work in spec and a " touch" better !
erm, i dont have a clue what i`m doing. i`m winging it. hope no-one notices....
Post Reply